Wednesday, July 17, 2013

One foot in front of the other

Day 110 (Friday):

We have about 2 weeks left before we leave, not publishing dates for "security" reasons...I'm sure I have stalkers (total sarcasm intended).  Anyway, I have been praying that we will finish well and make the most of every opportunity we have left.  Yesterday was hard.  The morning started out pretty good. I am also trying to force myself to do normal things like eat, drink, and sleep.  I made myself eat breakfast. Our house is in complete chaos, so the best I could do was yogurt and malt ball, wearing yesterday's clothes and sitting in Kora's high chair.  I took a picture of myself because I read somewhere that when you're older you'll think you looked good way back when. HA! All I know is my eyes look tired...with good reason.
Kees is in the background!
She found my yogurt top and licked the lid.
Most of the rest of the pictures involve Kora's exploration of the house, she was all over the place, but I just chose to enjoy it.  I saw her getting into the ant cups, it's just baby powder in the bottom, I figured it counts as an educational activity, like having a sensory table, just a little more messy.  As much mess as I have at this point, why not?  And the bonus was it kept her busy for 15 whole minutes, that's like 7 hours in Kora time.
Playing with these cars before we get rid of them.

Fan buttons!
This stuff got unpacked.  It's extremely difficult to pack and sort with a 19 month old toddling around the place undoing things.
She climbed up in the stoller.

She found a ball.

Water hose...why isn't this thing working?

A sign of things to come.

The first of many...

Look, there's a lot of these.

Ahhh..that's nice.

What?

See..it's a sensory activity, I wasn't making that up.

The powder has traveled up to her nose.

And now the difficult task of tracking it all over the house.

I just love you baby powder.

What's back here???

Putting marbles in a funnel, also educational.  We should move more often...extreme sarcasm intended. ;)

I'll just make these baskets into a stool and then I can get to some water I know how to turn on.
Reading the bible, in Thai no less, such an MK.
Doug brought lunch and I was feeling so emotional and didn't feel like eating at all, I think I ate 3 bites.  We heard back from the resort we were trying to book and they had made our reservation, meaning we were able to get out of the madhouse and not one minute too soon.  In the evening, our friends came to visit to pick up some kids stuff I wanted to pass on, then our Thai pastor and his wife came by to help us out. He mowed our yard. 
This is another one of Doug's pastor friend's wife. We rent our house from them.  Kora loves their baby girl.
Every one has been so encouraging and has taken the time to pray with us when they come to visit.  While they were in the yard, I ran into the house to get bug spray, and I heard Kora scream out in pain. Worst sound ever.  I ran outside and saw her and Doug on the ground. Doug had tripped on something and knocked her over. He didn't think she had fallen that hard, she sat down on her bottom first, then fell back and hit her head.  She would not stop crying.  And she was really clingy. That's not like her at all. She also kept acting so tired and wouldn't smile.  It was scary. The lady who bought most of our stuff came during all the hub bub, and about all I could do was hold Kora. She was so upset. After they made a few trips and got all their stuff, Doug finished packing. Then, we finally got out of the house, drove to the resort, and settled in.
Checking out the light switches.

Around 2 am, Kora woke up crying and wouldn't go back to sleep. In the meantime, we'd deduced that she was not wanting to stand up and that something was wrong with her ankle.  She wasn't having any symptoms to indicate anything was wrong with her head. We took her to the emergency room, poor stumbly Kees in tow.

Doug dropped Kora and I off at the door. I explained that she had fallen and they checked her, then took her back for X-rays.  Somehow, I thought it was her left leg that was hurt.  They x-rayed both of her ankles, and said it was a sprain. But as they were wrapping up her left leg, Doug came over and told me it was the wrong one. Nice. Parenting fail! Add it to the list.  I couldn't help, but laugh. We didn't even bother correcting them. The pain meds would help regardless of which leg it was and we could just wrap the other leg when we got back to the hotel. The kids and I walked across the street to 7-11 and Doug paid the bill at the hospital. When I asked him how much it was, he told me it was 300 baht...that's $10.  I couldn't believe it. So thankful, we were in and out and we had peace of mind that it wasn't anything too serious.

The mosquitoes were bothering him, we had to get some lotion from the hospital staff.  He hates being itchy.

Poor baby, out in public with a crazy haired Momma.

Checking her leg.

Notice it's the left ankle that's wrapped. Whoops.
After our night time outing, we went back and crashed, obviously.

Day 111 (Saturday):

Today has been great.  I got to Skype with my parents this morning. And I've been reminding myself often that I have to take care of myself so that I can take good care of my kids. And Doug has been entertaining them a lot while I do that.  I keep thinking how cool it is that we were able to stay here (paid for by Doug's sis!), if we were home Kora would be much more miserable.  Today she is acting like her sassy curious self and she is frustrated she can't walk. When you can't walk, swimming is advisable!  And in other news I have eaten, a lot. Not the healthiest stuff around, but I had an omelette for breakfast, 2 glasses of juice, toast, and bacon. That's more than I've eaten in quite a while. I had orange chicken for lunch with some really yummy vegetables, I'm thinking I might order it again for dinner.  What can I say, when you know, you know. (If you missed my post about grieving, it gives a better picture of why I haven't been eating and a little more about the emotional roller coaster that is my life right now. You can read that post here.)
I wish I was in a better frame of mind to truly enjoy this place.  On such an emotional roller coaster, thankful for God's word and an open line of prayer directly to our Father in Heaven.

Lunch.

Kees has a watermelon shake.

This yummy chicken came with an orange glaze to dip it in.

In the pool.

Bath time.
As I type, Kees and I are in the lobby. Kora is napping.  I'm listening to great music and feeling encouraged. I've smiled more today too, feeling like I'm getting back to being myself, the version God wants me to be.
Love him!


A friend from high school posted these verses on one of my recent updates, it's Proverbs 3:5-6.  I've been repeating them often.  So thankful for God's word.

Love you all, thanks for all the encouragement, we feel blessed and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment