Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A millipede and a giant-ish spider, oh my.

Day 99 (Monday):

Well Monday is Monday, if you know what I mean.  I got to talk to my parents, on the phone, we almost never do that and I was thankful they took some time out of their day for me. They are the best.

I bought a bunch of peanut butter the other day.  This is another special buy!  Before I started buying the bagged peanut butter I was paying a lot more for natural peanut butter and it didn't taste half as good as this stuff.  This bag is around $5 and it's about 2 jars worth of a regular size peanut butter.  I put 2 bags into an airtight container and have one left.  We go through a lot of peanut butter, but it's all natural and no sugar, just peanuts and a tiny bit of salt, so quit judging me, I'm trying to fatten Kees up.  
Mmmm... peanut butter goodness...which goes great with this recent discovery...

Tiny ritz like crackers.  I got so many and it was less than $3 for the bag. (85 baht to be exact).  I bagged these up into individual servings, so we can grab them on the run if need be. It's also nice for when Kora just eats one or two, then they can go right back into the bag for 5 minutes later when her highness requests more royal treats.

I am still studying vowels. It's a little funny, actually, I can remember the new set for the day really well, but when she adds back in the ones from previous days I get so confused. She made some little cards on the spot for me to point to. This works well. We started out with 10 or so, then she just kept adding them.  Slow and steady, trying not to feel stupid that I can't memorize these faster, but I'm old and have two kids, so I guess it's to be expected that I'm not as sharp as I was in high school and college.
Vowels...there's a lot 32, but really only 28 that get used often or that I'm learning anyway.  Don't quote me on that number, remember I'm old.

Kora always feels like she needs to come in at the very last and check my work.  She marks it all up, so it must not be up to her standard.

We finally opened our "snow" that Alicia gave us!  Kees has been talking a lot about wanting to go to America and show Kora how to play in the snow.  Hate to tell him that's not likely to happen for the next 4 years or so.  We are planning to be in the states next summer, but he won't be seeing any snow. Poor guy.
Anything we do must involve cars. It's a rule.


Day 100 (Tuesday):

Doug went to pastor's meeting today.  I stayed home and had to deal with THIS!
Someday I will be hospitalized when something like this happens, if it's before I'm 70 it will be a slip or fall that happens, post 70 I'm guessing heart attack.

I had such a crazy screaming reaction to this thing. It started crawling up the side of the sink while I was doing dishes. Both kids started crying after my gasp for air and subsequent scream.  I had two options, let it crawl off into the unknown or deal with the situation.  Man was I wishing Doug was home.  I grabbed my trusty tongs (the ones our friend Dan had to use to get the dead bird out of our ceiling in the old house that had caused maggots to fall from the sky).  I couldn't do it.  I wanted to, but I couldn't. I was holding Kora, and I called for Kees to come help me.  He wouldn't enter the room, but he was standing in the doorway. I told him, "Mommy needs a pep talk.  Just tell me to grab him quick and throw him in the trash."  Kees eventually obliged and I conquered, but I got the willies while doing it. I just said, "I have to protect my babies!" Keep in mind these things are completely harmless, but you are more than welcome to have one crawling around your food preparation area if you so choose.  I'd rather not.

An insane amount of my day was spent recovering from our wardrobe breaking. I was not expecting it to take as long as it did. But I had to re-arrange and organize everything.  I was also getting rid of some stuff, not as much stuff as I had hoped, so I may have to take a second sweep.  I fully intended to take a picture of the chaos, but I'm just too embarrassed, it was ridiculous and I'm hoping I can edit my own memory of the incident, so if I had photographic proof on this blog it would defeat that goal.  Too bad, so sad, I think you'll live.

When Doug got home it was 2, and I had fed the kids, but not myself.  He warmed up some food for me and even made me a sweet tea. Love that guy!  Then he put Kora down for a nap, so Kees and I could work. Basically, I ignored Kees because I was studying my Thai vowels and making a color coding system to help me memorize them. In the meantime, Kees opened the large tote that contains all the "storage" school room stuff.  I try to rotate the books, puzzles, and other learning manipulatives. So the stuff that isn't currently on our shelves gets stored.  I should have told him to stay out of it, but I figured if he was interested in something in there, then he could explore.  When it was time to clean up, quite a few things had been cleaned up by just tossing them back in the box, rather than putting them into their baggies or containers. So, once we cleaned up, I put a combination lock on the storage.  If Kees knows he wants something out of there, I'll help him get it, but just one thing at a time. I put a blanket over the top and added a pillow, it'll make a nice bench for reading.   Almost forgot to mention that Pi Tone stopped by to play for about 45 minutes or so.  Kees loves it when he comes!  
On our way into the school room, we saw this.

I think he made the tote a boat.

Pi Tone asking about our calendar. We should have changed it today, but we didn't! That's alright, I still have 29 days left to do it.

Oh the joys of colored paper and markers. Or should I say paper that has color?  Not trying to make a political statement or voice any opinion on the Paula Deed debacle...at all.
Tonight, I finally got around to dividing out my cheese.  Did I mention that I bought the LAST bag?!?  It's always a mix of emotions when this happened, relieved that they had, excited that I'm the proud new owner, and fear that it may never be re-stocked again.

Tonight as we were telling Daddy the story of the millipede thingy, Kees said, "Momma, we shouldn't have thrown it away.  We should have cooked it up into chicken pox."  His expression was priceless, wish I had a picture.  Just suffice it to say it was a conniving, smarter-than-you, mastermind type of face, and I hate to say it a smidge of evil genius.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog Kellee. You have such a frank, natural writing style and I enjoy hearing about all your (mis)adventures. You're so brave and such a testimony to following the Lord in uncomfortable places. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. bugs are everywhere!I know God has a purpose for them but sometimes it is hard to know what!be brave and carry on!God bless we will miss you at the farm on the 4th!Grandpabooo

    ReplyDelete