Saturday, April 13, 2013

Insert Puke Pun *here*


Day 20:

Considered calling today, "Puke-splosion", but I feel like that catch phrase is feeling overdone, so you can help me name today's post...I can edit the title later.

I love irony.  And I feel like today was full of that.  I had intended to be soaked with water, but was instead covered in vomit, many times over.

Perhaps I shouldn't have advertised so boastfully about going out to celebrate Songkran today. Cause, we had a "terrible horrible no good very pukey day". Does anyone remember that book? My mom read us this one:
I especially love the illustrations in this book, amazing!

Actually our day wasn't all that bad, we just didn't get to go play in the water with our friends like we had planned. As I was planning for today, I might have guessed we'd be drenched, need to change clothes, and use up almost all our towels...I just hadn't figured it'd be on puke incidences...there were 6. We have one clean, folded put away towel left. Yeah.  So our day was filled with sheet changes, clothes changes, 5 loads of laundry, the usual suspects when dealing with sickness.  Hoping we are all better by Monday for our trip out of town.  Guessing I'll be staying home with the kids tomorrow so we don't infect the people at church. ;)  (Kora is still taking her antibiotics and I am hopeful she will be well by Monday...please pray with us because I REALLY want to be able to go on this trip)
Sleeping sick baby.  She had her little fist looped through my moo-moo. Sweet girl, I sure do hate her being sick, but I don't mind the snuggles.

Doug, who almost never wants to go out when I "need" something, decided that he wanted to run to 7-11 to get a drink and a rice soup cup thingy.  He took pictures for me because he loves me.  All these people are loaded in these trucks to drive in one big circle around the moat and splash people.
Around 5 pm, Kees was climbing up the walls and I was on the verge of mommy-splosion, so I suggested he pick up his toys and go throw water on cars and motorbikes driving by. Doug and the kids went out, then I joined them. We were only outside about ten minutes, but it was worth it. Kora's first Songkran...well that she could participate anyway, last year she was only 3 months old.

When I walked outside, this sweet soggy girl came running to me. Love her so much!
My Girl.




They were hosing people down that drove by.

We're "dancing in the street" a la Footloose, and Kees is Pastor what's his face who didn't approve.  Just kidding, Kees most definitely approved of these shenanigans.


Kees spraying a truck.
Kees really enjoyed spraying mommy.

When we were outside I saw clouds and heard thunder...it's been a few months.  Still no rain yet, but I'm getting hopeful.

After our 10 minute mini-Songkran, I gave the kids a nice warm shower and brushed their teeth.  I guess mini-Songkran was enough to wear Kees out because I looked over and he fell asleep brushing his teeth.  So funny!

Okay, so here is a brief explanation of Songkran, in case you were wondering. If you google "Thai Songkran" you can read more and research for yourself (okay, if you're feeling lazy, here it is). But I'll do my best to give you the high points. Songkran is a celebration of the traditional Thai new year. It's also when the Buddhist statues get cleansed by having water splashed on them, then people would gather the used water from cleaning the statues and sprinkle it or splash elderly people with it for good luck. So a big part of the Buddhist tradition is going back to your home village to visit your elderly relatives and bless them. However, now, in Chiang Mai, it's a huge water fight and party which can sometimes lead to accidents. I read an article about the increased number of accidents over this holiday each year, they even have a running death toll...don't tell my mom. It's probably due to the extra travelers out, since so many are traveling at once.

Our first two Songkrans we went with our neighbors to drive around the moat to splash and be splashed. Both times Kees didn't like being splashed and we ended up in the cab of the truck, but Doug has ridden in the back a few times. He loves it!

And my stolen Francis Chan quote for today is:  “The point of your life is to point to Him. Whatever you are doing, God wants to be glorified, because this whole thing is His.”

Here are some "throwback" pictures from Songkran 2011!  Kees was almost 2 when these pictures were taken, how is he almost 4!  (I am mysteriously missing all of my Songkran photos, the album I had posted on



We gave Kees an old dish soap bottle to squirt people with.
Doug is always happy for Songkran, so sad he didn't get to enjoy it today.
Songkran!
Just figuring things out.
My boys with their toys.


2 comments:

  1. This brings back my Songkran memories from last year. So fun to see a city full of smiling faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping Kora starts to feeling better. One of the worst thing for parents is sick kids. Love you guys and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete