Friday, June 7, 2013

Market Picnic

Day 74:

The Day After the Evaluation.

It's funny because the evaluation was draining, yet oddly motivating as well.  So, physically/emotionally I'm wasted, but somehow renewed with steps for moving forward, but too tired to pursue them just yet.  Doug met with Kruu Jeab in the morning, but I'm taking time off until after vacation.  And by time off, I mean I'm planning my lessons for when I get back, organizing our schedules for the upcoming months, tracking down materials, planning and packing for vacation, and generally enjoying my tiny people.  But that initial day after, I was unmotivated and blah.  Doug decided a picnic would be fun and we took our lunch hour to pick up food from the market and took the kids to the playground.  It had been a while since we had been to that particular market and all the vendors were so excited to see us.  Every time we go, we say, "We need to come here more often!"  It's great language practice, the people are usually somewhat bored and they aren't going anywhere, so they might as well be helping us perfect our Thai. ;)  And they love seeing our kids.
Fried chicken

Spring Rolls and Stuffed Peppers. The stuffed peppers are so yummy and 5 baht each (15 cents).

Just wake her up if you want to buy some shorts.


Kees was so brave. He had already greeted this lady, but she wanted to touch his white skin, so he shook her hand.

All yummy, I'm sure and so cheap!

Remember how I said my brain was fried, I asked what these were called and already forgot.

She let us sample these little sour fruits.  Doug does not like sour.

Kora liked okay

The large fruit on the left is durian, it's banned in airports and some hotels because it stinks!  On the right is Nga (rambutan).

Fried Chicken heads.

Pineapple truck, we bought some...it was so good!  Pineapple always makes me think of my friend Kari, who loves pineapple.

After we finished getting a ton of fried foods to take to the park, we stopped by and got some Som Tam (unripened papaya salad).  Then the kids got their chance to play.  It was hot, but still exciting and fun.  We walked around the pond and Kora kept trying to run into it.  At one point, I was trying to get a picture of me and Kees, lost my balance and almost fell in backwards myself.  It would have made a funny story, but I thank I'm glad I didn't have to discover the cleanliness, or lack thereof in that water.
Waiting for our Som Tam


She was so happy to get to look out the window.

Hmmm. what's this?

She is getting so big.


Smiles!  Look at the dimples on Douglas!

They're a wild bunch.

A fruit tree, possibly persimmons...not sure.

Where has my baby gone? And who is this little lady?

Just before I tried to fall into the pond.

After my near fall, I was laughing on the ground, I don't think Kora got the joke, but she wanted to laugh too!

She lost her privilege of being able to walk and had to get carried the rest of the way.  Kees we still have to convince that he is big enough to walk on his own and doesn't need to be carried. Kora, on the other hand, wants to run and do death defying stunts and has to be reeled in.

Heading back to the truck!

Nothing too exciting happened in the evening, the kids both took long naps! ;)

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a great day!not too sure about the fried chicken heads!lol i am proud to have such beautiful grandkids,impressing the natives lol!God bless and keep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day I miss you'll so much!!!! You commented the same things I thought especially where's my baby and who is this young lady?? I really feel like I haven't met her and yet I know and love her so much.

    ReplyDelete