Monday, January 20, 2014

Kora turns 2!

Friday (1-10-14):

KORA'S BIRTHDAY, HOORAY!!!

Two years ago, on this day, I was scheduled to go in at midnight to start the induction process, instead, I had contractions off and on all night, and had them coming steady by around 7:30 in the morning. I showered, got ready, timed the contractions and headed to Moore to have a baby. The doctor tried to send me home, cause he didn't really want to come in, he told the nurses I could check in if I really wanted to. My blood pressure was high and I was dehydrated. I checked myself in "early", this was two days past her due date mind you, and I'd had abdominal surgery in Thailand 6 weeks earlier.

After a an hour or so, the nurse put a monitor on Kora's head, which broke my water, and also revealed the presence of meconium, that sped things along, the gave me pitocin, and a little later my glorious epidural. And at 6:46 pm, she was born, her head was out before the doctor ever showed up, he barely made it in time to catch her. Have I mentioned how much I love nurses and the work they do?!? The ones I had were exceptional, nurses are the heart and soul, they make things happen and provide care, understanding, and comfort! If you're a nurse, GOD bless you!

That was then....(the day she was born):

Just minutes old

She had at least two weeks worth of crusted meconium in her hair, when she came out, she didn't make a sound, they had to suction out her lungs for quite a while, I was terrified to hold her, I just knew she was gonna stop breathing any minute. Thankfully I was wrong! This girl was kicking and punching those sweet nurses that we're suctioning her lungs and she was so puffy and swollen, I shouldn't say it, but I thought, "oh no, she's a brute, I thought she'd be more dainty. Again, I was wrong, as the swelling went down over the next few days, her features went back to normal. She is a doll. 

The next day, exactly 24 hours after she was born, we drove home, in the snow!

Here's a few more pictures for ya:

Snuggles with Daddy

This is the first time Kees ever held her, she was maybe a week old. He wouldn't hold her in the hospital and it took some convincing. He LOVED to watch us hold her or help out, but he wasn't brave enough to hold her right away.

Big yawn

Lots of sleeping

Doug insisted we get a carseat cover and he picked THIS one. 

This was when we were in Wisconsin, we traveled a lot, even when she was tiny. She was about a month old here.

Valentine's Day in Wisconsin, we went to Oscar's for frozen custard.  I teased that I was glad it wasn't just me that Doug ignores on dates. :)

We have a new family tradition of taking special pictures when our kids have their first visit to the farm. We have similar ones of Kees when he was born, particularly in the bird bath and a family picture in front of the barn.  The OU clothes are an added level of awesome, don't think that was part of the first round we took when Kees had his first farm trip, but I love that about these!
Around 2 months old
Sweet baby girl

With Grandpa Boo and Gammy

Family pic!
We took a 2 month old across the world, to Thailand.  She got stamps in her passport EARLY! :)  It takes around 36 hours to travel from one place to the next, she was a trooper!

Traveling.

Here's a few pictures from our first days back in Thailand:

Meeting Pa Noi

Meeting Loong Ake

At church, with Wee Moan

So little



With Pa Nit and Loong Chris

Her first year:


This baby swing was the BEST thing we brought back with us from America, such a life saver.  When the batteries would run out, Doug would rock her with his foot while he was studying Thai at the computer.  She loved sleeping in that swing.

She had a fancy dress she was wearing at church, it had sequins, she was hot and started getting rashy, so we took it off of her. Poor girl.



At the park

I have tons of pictures like this.  I took this one after a family walk in our neighborhood, as we walked by the little shop a crowd gathered to look at her.

Calling America, who wants to talk?

This girl loves smiling, it's her favorite!

Crawling around at church

Church small group, eating pink dragon fruit

After small group one night, eating noodles at a road side stand, it started raining!

On our way to Thawang Pa to visit co-workers and see the boat races.

Our family date on our wedding anniversary: SUSHI!  Still miss Sumo Sushi in Chiang Mai.

Traveling to Laos to change our visas.

Christmas day, in her new pajamas.  She also got a little white dog, another tradition, first Christmas in Thailand, both of our kids got a little white stuffed dog.

Another one taken at church.

First birthday:


Blowing out her candle






Second year (first half):

At Big C (Walmart type store), the ladies that worked there always flocked to our table (in the food court) to hold Kora.

Playing with Bubba
When it got really hot, we did a lot of this!
This girl loves to eat

She also loves to annoy her brother, mostly just grab his stuff, because really everything is hers or should be anyway.


She still loves yogurt and still makes a mess!
Caramel apple sucker
We got this new bathroom mat when Alicia left, Kora was in love with it.

Our good friend Amanda, playing with Kora and my Thai study tools. Yep, my tools were toys.


In Phuket, June 2013
She loved the ocean and had no fear. Doug had to really watch her.

Getting into the kitchen sink.

Playing at church
Hotel bathtub
While I was trying to back to move back to America, Kora was a lot of help.

I may never forgive Doug for selling our carseat too early. Kora is a mess when she's not strapped in.  Wanting to climb all over the car.
At the new mall, it wasn't even quite finished yet, but we got to check it out before we left Thailand.


Traveling back to America and first days back:


Saying good-bye to Pa Noi
I had Doug take us to 7-11 one last time on our way to the airport.
Saying good-bye to Pi Tone and Pa Eiw
Our church family
One last family pic in Thailand.
1st leg, to Seoul
Transit hotel, getting into stuff

Waiting to board our flight in Korea
They had a play place in the airport

Seoul to LAX

We got in after midnight, Grandpa Boo and Ginny picked us up.  We stayed one night at their place.
2nd night back, we stayed at Grandma Sheryl's place. Kora woke up hungry in the middle of the night, I fed her cheetos in the laundry room. ;)
Then we spent a couple nights and Gramee and Grampa's house and the Ravans came!


The last six months (August-early January):














Kees is sleeping. ;)
In Canada, meeting the GoodSeed folks!
Found her like this, looks like she ate Mr. Potato Head.
Back in Oklahoma, gettin dirty!




Playing with Grandpa Boo at the outlet mall

After church, eating at Alfredo's

Cousin love

In Webbers Falls

Halloween
Trip up North, it's too early Momma.
Tuckered out, in Ohio.
Beautiful Christmas pic, in Illinois
Family Christmas shopping trip, in Prague, Kora fell asleep on the way home.
Christmas! She loved her new baby!

And now that we've had a look back at her first two years, here are the rest of the pictures from her special day, her second birthday. She got to open her presents from us, while she was napping the Ravans showed up to help.  Kristee, Kees, my dad, Mamaw, and I went to town to run some errands. While we were in the van, waiting at one point, Kees said, "Momma, one time when it was just Kora, Daddy and me in the car, we were driving and the door flew open."  I said, "Wow, I've never heard that story before, I'll have to ask Daddy about that."  Kees replied, "It's not a story momma, it really happened."  Guess what, I asked Doug later, and it DID happen, when we were in Illinois. I was riding with my friend, Alicia, Doug had washed the van and the locks froze. When he closed the door it didn't latch, and he heard the wind whirring and saw the door HAD flown open.  Thankful for CARSEATS!  Okay, that was a slight side track, on to pictures!

Second Birthday:


Opening her present from us, we got her a Graco set that included a swing, that converts to a high chair, a sling that doubles as a sleep sack, and a stroller.  I got a steal of a deal, it as $40 at Target, but I got it for $12.99 at Aldi after Christmas!!!

I think she sees the baby!

I also got her an Ariel baby doll.  It was also on sale for $6.99

She really likes the crown!

Kees helping put the stroller together.

Feeding her baby

Swing!

Grampa putting the stroller together.

Going for a walk.

And she found my list.  She loves writing!





She's eating a sucker while she takes her baby for a walk.

ipad!

The Ravans got here!

Kristee and I went over to the church so I could decorate the cake and Kristee could set the tables up and decorate the room. We took all 3 kids over with us and Kora brought her baby.

Final product.  In the initial stage, I was having trouble with the fondant and I had that, "WHAT was I thinking moment?!?"  Thankfully it turned out.  The huge counter space was awesome, not to mention central heat and air, and modern kitchen technology.

Cannot believe how awesome it is to be momma to my sweet Kora girl.  She is so much fun, very brave, friendly, tenacious, caring, curious, and busy.  I am looking forward to the many adventures she will have in the future and being there for all of them.  She's amazing and I love her to pieces. Thanks for celebrating with us!

1 comment: