Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Wordy Wednesday: The ONE thing

I'm in a ladies bible study.  This week, we were talking about Mary and Martha.



" 38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus[a] entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary.[b] Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10: 38-42 ESV)


We discussed whether we thought we were more like Mary and Martha. When I answered, I didn't get too deep with it, and just thought, "I'm more like Mary because when we have guests over, I usually do all the work beforehand, so I can just focus on people when they are here."  


But the more we looked at it, and I thought about it, aren't we all prone to being Martha, not focusing on the "one thing" that "is necessary".  Yes, I do focus on people, but that's not what Mary chose, she wasn't choosing people over work, she was choosing time with Jesus over everything else.  And that seems to easily get put on the back burner in all the busyness of life.  So I've been reminding myself this week to make "one thing" my priority, spending time in the word.  And since I "spoke that into existence", we've been crazy busy, making it feel impossible. That being said, I'm signing off, for some time in the word.  


Love to all of you!


And FYI, I'm having technical difficulties, so excuse the weird highlighting. I'd be obsessive about and re-type this whole post, but, for real, I'm gonna go focus on the ONE thing, like I promised.

2 comments:

  1. When I read this text, I also think it is about priorities, and how we prioritize our spiritual lives in particular. The choir practice, the bible reading, the many groups and charities and kindnesses we participate in are wonderful as long as we understand that time with Christ is THE priority. I think it's sometimes easy for us to get distracted with our obligations and forget to sit at His feet and listen. :-)

    ReplyDelete