Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Taco Tuesday: Taco Soup

We have company, and I made this soup for them.  It fed a crowd, and it was easy to throw all the ingredients into the crock pot and walk away.  And I ACTUALLY walked away, to the park, right after they got here.   They had eaten a late lunch, so when they got here at 6, they weren't hungry.  That's the joy of the crock pot, the food was ready, if they had been starving,  but it kept nicely while we walked to the park.

I was also telling Doug that I think the inventor of the crock pot is a genius and I wish I could personally thank him!  Which led me to look that up, so I could share it with you!

Here is the Wikipidia info about the crock pot. And I stumbled across a blog written by the inventor's daughter, here.

Okay, so here's the recipe for you, I found it on Taste of Home.

Ingredients:

2 lbs taco meat, cooked, drained, and taco seasoning added
2 cans rotel (or one rotel, one stewed tomatoes)
1 can corn
2 cans of beans (whatever variety you prefer or have on hand)
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
1 1/2 cups water (next time I think I'll do just one cup, then add more if needed)

Directions:

Combine all ingredients (meat is pre-cooked) in crock pot.  Cook on low or high, until warm.  I'm guess it took just a couple hours on low, and our meat was leftover this time, so cold from the fridge.  But it kept warm for several hours cooking on low, and it was no problem.  EASY PEASY. You could also cook this on the stove top if you were wanting to eat it right away.

We served ours with bell peppers, jalapeños, sour cream, cheese, black olives, salsa, tortilla chips, and corn chips.  And sweet tea, of course, sweet tea. :)

Irving Naxon, inventor of the Crock Pot, this picture was on her blog post, link is above.


No comments:

Post a Comment