Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Taco Tuesday: Orange Chicken

You Will Need:

Chicken
Orange Marmalade
Soy Sauce
(*BBQ sauce optional)
(Coconut)



Okay, Doug's grandma posted a link for this recipe.  It called for 1/2 a cup of BBQ sauce, 1/2 a cup of marmalade, and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.  You cook the chicken in the crockpot with 1/2 a cup of water. After several hours, you drain the chicken, put it back in the crockpot, mix up the marmalade, bbq sauce, and soy sauce, and put it over the chicken. Then cook it for 30 more minutes.

I followed the recipe.  It tasted like BBQ chicken to me.  I made a second batch with significantly less BBQ and still wasn't in love with it.   I think the best bet, is to just cook your chicken, then top it with marmalade that has a splash of soy sauce mixed in. Serve over rice, and top with some baked coconut chips (or shredded coconut).

I like orange chicken, in theory.  My mom makes a curried chicken, that is chicken with curry powder, rolled in shredded coconut, then it's baked.  You serve it with apricot preserves.  So, I think a simple chicken, lightly seasoned, then topped with marmalade that has a splash of soy sauce would be yummy.  

I should also add, that through this adventure, I was educated (through facebook friends) about the difference between a slow cooker and a crock pot.  Who knew???  You can read about it here.

The dilemma I have is that my crock pot cooks way faster than directions typically give.  It cooked chicken breast WAY faster than the directions said.  On low, it took 2 hours!  The directions said 8-9 hours.  HUH?!   So if anyone has any helpful tips for me, I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment