Friday, September 5, 2014

Flashback Friday: Addicted to Dollar Tree

Disclaimer:  I may or may not mention Dollar Tree a ridiculous number of times during this post. You've been warned.

Friday:

We were in hyper drive Friday morning, getting ready to take lunch up to Doug's office. We had friends coming for a tour. Doug knew them in missionary training before he met me.  We've been facebook friends for a while, but this was my first chance to meet them.

I discovered Kees saved all the chocolate Cheerios for last...



Then I looked over to discover Kora had eaten all the marshmallows out of her Lucky Charms.  Yep, they're opposite!

Getting ready to go!

He sure knows how to make her laugh!  We know how to have a good time.




 They both love getting all wrapped up in their towels.





At the last minute, I decided to make dessert.  I let them lick the first bowl for half a second, then changed my mind because they were clean and dressed.  Kees went to his room to cry about it, Kora used the batting eyelashes, "peas, me careful" *head nodding*

Kora's method worked.  I DID make her wear the giant smock/bib.


We saw some fake birds flying on fishing pole looking things.

After the lunch at the office, we got to hang out for awhile.  Sad I didn't get more pictures, Kora was wearing her OU cheerleader outfit, in preparation for our FIRST big game.


Saturday:

GAMEDAY!  Ugh, this was the beginning of my sickness.  Unfortunately, I needed to get groceries, so I took a hot bath, and muster some energy. Got the stuff we needed and got back in time for the beginning of the game, WORN out.  I ended up laying down, and just checking the score on my phone.  :(





Kees made a belt out of a slinky.  Can't remember what he called it exactly, but it was funny.


Sunday:


I had a rough night, not feeling well, but I didn't want to miss church because we'd been at camp the previous week.  When I woke up, I saw George peering around the corner of our closet door.  And if that wasn't creepy enough, after a snooze, I woke up with Kora 6 inches from my face, whispering/muttering/demanding, "church, you wake up now"    She then listed everyone who needed to get up, then each individual that needed to get dressed, and said 'church' a couple more times.

Church has coffee and hot chocolate mix.  I combine the two and add caramel creamer, so sugary and so good!

 Kees went right to Sunday School, and slept in my lap, as usual. He gets his Sunday nap a little earlier than most people.

After lunch, we had some new co-workers come over for tacos.  We had such a great time, can't wait to hang out again.  Then, a couple of ladies and I ran to Dollar Tree to grab a card and a few goodies for a co-worker we thought was in the hospital. Ended up going over to her house to visit and gave her some fun balloons and such.  (DOLLAR TREE!)


Monday:


And the sickness continued, on Doug's Labor Day off of work.  :(  In the whole scheme of things, I'm glad he was home, so I could sleep up and get ready for our first day of school.

I love our apartment. The setup is really nice.  After sleeping the first half of the day, I was able to sit up, and I opened my door so I could see the kids playing in their room.


I had the kids come hang out with me.

I started to make this soup (from a mix), and Doug finished it for me and brought it to me in bed.  The kids shared my crackers and looked at a book.  I was able to read to them too.



Tuesday:


Our first day of homeschool for the year.  We did shaving cream paint in the tub.






I wanted to do something special for our sensory table outside.  Which resulted in reorganizing the hall closet since I couldn't find the little bead thingies.

FOUND THEM! These things are so cool, they grow 500Xs their original size, and I got them from the Dollar Tree.

Here we are putting the tiny little beads in the table.


 Then we added water, and checked on them every hour or so.







Kora made footprints.

So, everyone was making their first day of school pictures, so I joined the bandwagon.  Unfortunately the kids hands were wet, and you can't really read the tiny signs.  Oh well, we tried.








Not sure what happened with this picture...


Making curry for dinner.  Doug went to Walmart after work, on the one night I actually had dinner ready. I ended up eating other stuff waiting on him, and then got too full.

When Doug goes to the store, he buys ice cream. When Daddy eats ice cream, Kora helps.


After my days of sickness, and a somewhat stressful first day, I NEEDED to check out Dollar Tree and revamp our sight word process.  I found cat ears and a tail for Kora, and a dinosaur hat for Kees.  FUN!





There was also a really cute dance, maybe I'll upload it to Facebook.

Wednesday:


Apparently our first day of school wore Kees out.  He slept pretty late. Which is fine by me, I did some cooking and spent time with a very cute little kitty cat.




I made Dill Crunch Cheese Ball, but never made it into a ball.  So it's just dip.

And bacon, because, yum!

Still sleeping...


He's up!



New sight word flash cards, hooray!  Kora has been enjoying school too. She sits and watches Kees, or gets her art bucket out.  The other day, she wanted to do the sight words, she did about five, with hints, then she said, "all done".


Dot a dot.


Another great thing about homeschooling, if you're hungry at calendar time, you can just grab a snack.

Felt board, and calendar stuff.





Dramatic play.

More grapes!


The kids put these chairs here, and pretended it was a waiting room. They kept "dying".  When they were dead, they would stare at the ceiling.  It was interesting to hear them explain all of this to Daddy when he got home.

I ran out of word strips and wanted to get some. Dollar Tree is 5 minutes from my house, or less, so it's a problem. The best problem in the world.  I wanted to take Kees with me as a reward for all his hard work this week.  He didn't want to go without Kora, and Kora had her feelings hurt.  Kees needed a buffer, and Kora didn't want to miss out. So, with lots of instruction, we had a lovely trip to the store, and they each got to pick one item.  Kees picked a money set, and Kora got a tea set.  They opened a business up right away.


This picture was to remind me to say, "It was so stinking cold!"  I had to wear my sweater boots and a heavy-ish jacket.

We got Doug some little Halloween figurines.  On the way home from the store, I was telling Kees that Doug could put them on his desk at work and scare people. Kees said, "Those won't scary anyone, they're really little.  They might scare kids, I guess."
 Selling tea and coffee.

Doug really should have eaten his ice cream before we got back. Both of our kids grabbed spoons to help him out.







Thursday:

I found turnovers for $.99 at the Grocery Outlet.  My parents make those for Sunday morning breakfast a lot. And I've never bought them before.  My kids loved them!


I found tongs at Dollar Tree (4 sets in the package!).  Great addition to our sensory table.


They also had test tubes at DT for Halloween.  They look like really tall communion cups.






Kora was not impressed by my pickle dip.



I have done all the sight words for the next 11 weeks! Whew!

 Kees ducky was helping.

Kees was drawing a picture of our family.  Kora was picking what color she wanted for her rabbit.  I think Kees drew it red at first, and she wanted pink, so he drew her a pink mouse.

I swear I'm not a rep for DT. but I also found this game there.  I made it a little easier since Kora played with us. We just rolled the dice and moved spaces.

Doug's grandma (on facebook!) posted a recipe for Orange Chicken in the crock pot. So I gave it a whirl.  It was equal parts BBQ sauce and orange marmalade with a splash of soy sauce. I think I'll omit the BBQ sauce in the future and just do marmalade with a little soy sauce.  I topped mine with more marmalade and crunchy baked coconut chips.



All in all, a great week, school gets easier. Kees is catching on quickly and Kora has been a lot more involved and mellow than I had expected.  Yay!

Love to all of you, have a great weekend. BOOMER!

No comments:

Post a Comment