Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wordy Wednesday: Don't Be a Lone Ranger

Community?



Earlier this week I was trying to decide what to post about for Wordy Wednesday.  And I'll be honest, I was drawing a blank.  So I put "Community?"  as a back up idea if nothing else came to me.

So, here goes: What does community mean to you?  Do you feel like you have "people"?

We're still relatively new,  with GoodSeed and in our area.  At times, since we've moved here, I've felt isolated.  Not because there aren't plenty of lovely people around, but because I'm still new, and I have two tiny people that I am taking care of.

I remember growing up, wondering why my mom never had friends.  I mean, she had friends, but it didn't seem like she saw them that often.  And when I was a teenager, and with my friends ALL the time, I thought it was so strange that my mom wasn't hanging out with friends.  My mom is a pastor's wife, which makes it difficult to have friends.  You're often seen as "the shoulder to cry on" and you're not really supposed to cry on anyone else's, cause you're the strong one.  Can I just say...QUIT IT!  (Mom that's for you!)  Just ask someone for help already!  I'm sure there are people in existence who think you shouldn't be allowed to need help or have feelings, but it's less than you think, and you NEED a listening ear too.

I spent at least a year in Thailand, fully believing I wasn't allowed to have feelings or struggle.  It's called culture shock and paranoia.  I kept telling myself, "All you need is God, you don't need people, be strong."  I neglected to realize that God never intended it to be that way.  God loves the church, he wants us to be a part of a body. Now, don't think for a minute that I wasn't taught this growing up.  When you're an emotional basket case your logic and reason are skewed, no GONE.  And unless you get some outside perspective and TRUTH (from scripture!), you'll fall further and further into that black hole.

So, can I just say, again..QUIT IT!  Be a friend, be a listening ear and a crying shoulder.  And sometimes, more importantly (if you struggle with PRIDE), ask for help or grab a friend and go for coffee.  They may not have any real solutions to offer you, but talking through what's going on, and getting encouraging words goes so much further than you realize.  Especially if you've gone without those two things for a while.

This week, I was able to go to the first meeting of a ladies bible study at church.  And I left feeling refreshed and like I had people.  The same way I felt when we left bible camp.

Can I encourage you to join a small group, or start one in your area.  Please, find a group of people and don't isolate yourself.  It's not healthy!

And on that note, I'm getting ready to go have coffee with friends.  Kees did sight words while he ate breakfast and I'm blogging while the kids are in the bath. May be a little crazy at our house, but OH SO WORTH IT!

Now, go call or email a friend.  Be a shoulder or reach out and ask someone to be one for you.  Seriously...GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment