Thursday, May 23, 2013

Not really sure you can call that Mexican food..

Day 60:

I think I might miss the midnight mark in the states for this post. My apologies, although I doubt any of you actually care when these get posted, I still feel like a big fat failure.  But that's a draw back of being a perfectionist and always having unrealistic expectations of yourself.

So, late, but it's gonna have to do and I'm gonna have to be okay with that.

Yesterday we were helping Alicia finish moving out of her house.  She didn't have a lot left to do, just loading up all the odds and ends and turning in her key.  Before we left I had to pack, feed and dress the kids, shower, and generally try to "do it all" without losing my patience. Doug was so sweet and left his clothes out so I didn't have to try and figure out what to pack for him.

The previous morning, Wednesday, Kees and I had made a little check list for what chores need to get done after we eat breakfast and before we head off to school.  It includes: wash dishes, wipe table and countertops, sweep, put juice cups in the fridge, and check the trash cans.  I explained all about it and we kept going back and checking our list. So on Thursday morning, when we were getting ready Kees reminded me that we needed to do our chores.  I love having a little helper.  It makes work so much more fun and enjoyable.  But I am such a people person and feel like time alone is a punishment.
Momma's little helper

I've been thinking over the past few days how funny it is and challenging to be an extrovert in a foreign place.  Culture shock and language barriers take away a lot of the things that I feel like have always made me...me.  So when going out in public often means humiliating experiences and confusing scenarios, it makes time with people feel draining emotionally and physically. Which doesn't even include the insane HEAT, also draining.  So, for me, it's been quite a learning curve, trying to be myself, but not gaining energy from being around people like I usually have in the past.  Which is why it was nice to have Alicia nearby.  I could be myself, it was a safe place to be me and not worry about culture and trying to communicate the right things.  The longer I am in Thailand, the easier it gets, the more familiar it feels and the more I am able to be me in this context.  I am so thankful we have made it this far and have been able to continue to progress whatever the pace may be.

All that to say, please continue to pray for me as I navigate a new "normal" in the coming weeks, with out my friend, who has been my sister in more ways than one.

Okay back to my day yesterday. Kees helped me clean the house, we packed up the rest of Alicia's house and she closed that chapter of her life.  So honored to be a part of her last days here and say good bye with her to what she's known over the last year and half.  Really excited to see how God will use her back in the states, and thankful for Voxer to keep in touch!

We grabbed these sandwich things at 7-11 that they put on a sandwich griddle for you and warm it up.  Kees ate great!  I even really enjoyed my shredded pork sandwich and would definitely eat it again. Love when I am introduced to new things to love here.

We made it to the hotel right at 12 and I checked in all by myself, speaking Thai and everything.
Checking in at the hotel, Kora wanted to explore, so one of the hotel employees gave her a tour.

We rested for a while and then Doug joined us during his dinner break from his conference. We swam and went to a "Mexican" place for dinner.  Be sure and read the caption under the food to read about what all is in it.
On our way to eat Mexican food.

Love the way Kees is walking in this picture.

Side street

I'm not sure what that colorful building is, but I love it.

Kora looking back to make sure we were all still coming.

There was a strange fly trap in the gutter and it reminded me of "Little Shop of Horrors".  I love that movie!

Spirit house

All the girls

They're learning about how the restaurant makes its guacamole.

Okay, the sour cream at this restaurant is yogurt. And they use mozzarella for the cheese.  Not exactly like Mexican back home, but it was good.

Kees fell asleep.  Kora was tired, but refused to sleep, but the 4 year old sleeps anywhere.

Laundry service on the way back to the hotel.

Trying to get them to pose for a picture in the hotel lobby, but this happened

Popsicles!

Yum!

These are the Thai version of Bugles.

Kees took this one.

Kees also took this one.

The kids loved the jacuzzi tub, they took three baths and went swimming!  We're kind of like the Beverly Hillbillies visiting the BIG city.

While we were waiting on the food we walked to this little shop that sometimes has Dr. Pepper.  I  bought the last two and it felt like I won a prize!

Then we came back to the hotel and Doug went back to his meeting.  Alicia and I had a nice chat and then went to bed early-ish.

Love to all of you, sorry this took so long.  I had a little bit of issues getting my computer hooked up to the internet here.

No comments:

Post a Comment