Friday, May 10, 2013

How Doug talked me into tasting barf chips

Day 47:

Today was my follow up blood work at the doctor's office.  I went 3 months ago because I'd been feeling fatigued and not able to get enough rest.  I know, I know, isn't that ALL moms of little ones, but it was feeling more extreme than it should, so I wanted to get my B12 levels checked which my doctor had actually recommended I do back in July.  I don't like going to the doctor and I don't like taking medicine...again, who does?  So, when my results came back 3 months ago my B12 was low and I have a slight iron deficiency.  I've been taking B12 supplements, so in a week, I'll find out if they've been working and my levels have improved.
Dr. Visit

I was in and out in 12 minutes!  My appointment was at nine, I was a few minutes late, and still got in and out in no time.  Which was nice because Doug and the kids were waiting for me in the truck, so we could go volunteer at the school in our neighborhood for kids with special needs.  We had time to kill so we went to 7-11, guess what Doug made me try?  I'll give you a hint, it's a "new" flavor of chips and I mentioned it in a previous post.
This is spicy minced pork flavor, or Laap.  (The ones Doug had me try were Salmon flavored, the were in a pink bag)

He claimed the flavor was "subtle" and that I'd love them. Wrong.  Not subtle and I almost puked in my mouth, no thank you! (In case you don't read picture captions, I tasted the Salmon chips).

We got to the school, Kees and Kora explored the playground for a couple minutes while Doug found someone to ask where we should go. Last time we met outside, but today we were in a classroom.
This is what I found when I opened up the back seat.  Sweet brother shared a cookie with Kora, I think she liked it. Her outfit is a new one we got in a package yesterday.  It's from Mamaw.

Here's Kees with the Salmon chips, he liked them, he doesn't know any better, he also likes the seaweed ones.  He's drinking a Sponsor, which is like Gatorade.

This is as far as she got.

Today we were able to read a book with the kids and Doug taught them a song, then we passed out snacks.  It was lots of fun and Kees helped me read, and then helped Doug pass out the snacks.  Kees wanted to play on the playground some more, but by then all the stuff was already too hot! 
Reading: "The Cat in the Hat".  Kees told me later that this is his most favorite book that we've ever readed. He heard it for the first time earlier this week at immigration and has been asking to hear it every day since. Can you see his little legs, he's sitting in the chair with me. ;)

"Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes!"
Bubba can steer for them both!
She got brave and stood up, so Doug took her off.

I got on with him, but apparently I steer too fast and he doesn't want me to play with him on the "round about" anymore. Is that what they are really called? That's what Kees called it, not sure if Doug taught him or he learned it somewhere else, but I'm not sure what I would have called it.

Since the playground was too hot, we went home and played in our pool.

 

Kora got worn out swimming and took a nap, she was still in her swimsuit, so I laid her on a blanket on the ground, Thai style. That way if she used the bathroom, all I'd have to wash was the blanket.  Doug left to get the truck washed and vacuumed for his road trip and brought Vietnamese food home for lunch. YUM! This wasn't as good as the place we usually get it from, but it was still good.

 
Then Alicia, the kids, and I went to the old mall, Kad Suan Kaew while Doug worked on getting my Thai video lessons edited and put together. My kids played in the play place for about 45 minutes. I practiced my Thai with some of the little girls who were playing. They wanted to know where I was from, what all of our names were, how old my kids were, if Kora was a boy or a girl. Then they really wanted to take Kora around to play, but Kora was already tired and didn't want to go.  I explained (in Thai) that she usually likes to go on little trips with people, but today she got hurt a little bit, and she was just too tired.  There was Thai coming out of my mouth that I wasn't even sure what it meant until I thought about it later.  I think that's a good thing, it just naturally came out in the context.  I'll take a small victory like that any day of the week!





I was able to get 2 Subway sandwiches at the mall for under $5 and then found DR PEPPER at a small import store when we were turning down a side street get going back the right direction. We ate together, and now Doug is on his way. He *thinks* it's a 3 hour drive and has heard it's pretty twisty and turny.  I've given him instructions to take lots of notes and pictures, so hopefully he will guest blog when he gets back and fill us all in on the details.

The kids and I are snuggling up with the AC on, watching Veggie Tales, hopefully going to bed early since Kora only took 2 short naps today. And although I felt less tired during the day, right now, I'm feeling drowsy.  Maybe my kids will sleep in tomorrow!  I can hope, right?


1 comment:

  1. We played "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" this week too with Keely. :D Have to teach that girl her body parts.
    I would have called the "round about" thingy a "group sit and spin". :D That is what it looked like. Round about works very well though.
    BTW... if you were not aware Lays is doing new nasty flavored potato chips here too. One of my daughters works at Target. She brought home Chicken and Waffle flavored chips. They were disgusting!! Allison liked them though. Blah!
    I got to spend a week in Rayong with Sean when he went on a business trip a few yrs ago. I would love to go back. Sean spent quite a bit of time in Rayong and found a nice little Baptist Church to attend when he was there. He got to have Easter Service last year with that church.
    I hope Doug isn't gone too long and I pray all is well while he is traveling.

    Regina Battisti

    ReplyDelete