Thursday, May 16, 2013

Just a bowl full of sugar, that's fine, right?

Day 53:

Language this morning, as usual, then I was in a mad dash to get all my study time in and housework done because I had a very special friend day planned with the one and only Alicia. 
Recording the questions for me to listen to and practice.

Today we added "when" questions. The sheets of paper underneath represent, yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  The square papers on top represent places, the little figures represent people/animals, and the objects with them represent and action, like the ball is for "playing", the bed is for "laying", the frying pan is for "cooking", the tennis shoe is for "running" , the turtle is for "walking", book for "writing" etc.  Whew! This one got a little complicated, but it was really fun. Just focusing on those question words and how to answer because the set up/grammar can throw you off because it's so different than English.  We usually put the question word right at the front of the question, in Thai it's in the middle or near the end, so it's hard to figure out what their asking sometimes. This game is helping!

Making food with blue play dough we made a couple weeks ago.

Kora dumped an entire package of straws out in the kitchen, since they couldn't be used in drinks because I felt the amount of time far exceeded the 5-10 second rule, we cut them up and used them as beads.  Kees loved this!

She loves crayons! We wrote, "Happy Birthday Tieghan and Uncle Mike" on this paper because today is their birthday. Uncle Mike is celebrating in heaven and Mr. Tieg is 2! Love them both!

Feeding the fish

She wants to climb in there or at least stick her whole arm in there.  Being good is really hard sometimes.

On our way to lunch.

He picked the pink cup.  Doug dressed Kees today, that's technically a sleep shirt and his play/swim shorts, but I am learning to accept whatever type of help I get with the kiddos.  And today, I am thankful Doug showered and dressed the kids while I studied Thai. That's one less thing on my mommy "to-do" list. Thanks Doug!

Friend lunch.

Thai energy drink: M150

Okay, before we moved to Thailand we had a slight issue with grandparents spoiling Kees.  I kept thinking, it'll be nice to cut back on all the sweets when we get to Thailand.  Little did I know...Pa Meow, no joke, gave my kids a bowl of sugar today while we were waiting on lunch.

She's curious.

She's leaving to go back to America next week and I'm trying to squeeze in as much time with her as possible.  I have said more than my fair share of good-byes since moving to Thailand.  It's never easy, but this one will be the hardest one yet, maybe ever, can't imagine one harder.  Our first year in Thailand was rough.  Culture shock, crazy ups and down, lots of crying, and many feelings of loss and loneliness.  Loss of family and friends back home and adjusting to a new kind of loneliness that is difficult to describe unless you've lived it.  God showed himself faithful, time and again, but after going to the states to have Kora, and returning here.  I was doing so much better, but still felt in desperate need of a friend.  I will say, I DO have lots of friends in Thailand.  All of my co-workers are great, but the amount of time we get to spend together is few and far between.  Many are spread all over the country and the ones in the city are far enough away and busy enough to make it difficult to see each other often.  So I wanted a friend, but hadn't branched outside of our little neighborhood much.  Last September, kicking and screaming, Doug Tomlinson forced me to go to the Chiang Mai Women's Retreat.  It's for women from all types of organizations here.  At that point, I was quite a bit closer with my co-worker friends and just flat didn't want to go.  Doug insisted and even said, "You go be a friend to someone, there might be someone out there that is lonely like you were, you go be a friend."  For once, I listened.  The first night, I saw Alicia sitting by herself at a break time, I sat down and struck up a conversation with her.  We've been best buds ever since!  And she's been a great friend to me and such a support.  I will miss her desperately, but I know God has big plans for her back home and I'm excited to see them unfold.  But there will be an aching emptiness and I'll be facing more lonely days, good friends are so hard to come by and I hope I never take them for granted. Time is far too short!

Whew! Anyway, so today was friend day.  So all of us met Alicia for lunch.  After lunch Alicia and I went to a coffee shop and grabbed drinks and a snack to take with us to get our nails done. I got a pedicure and I even when as far out of my comfort zone as humanly possible to chat with the ladies doing my nails.  They were so excited I could speak Thai and of course loved all the pictures I showed them of my kiddos.
Look at that yummy drink.  We also got these yummy oreo cake thingys.

Food offerings and candles offered to the spirits, outside the nail place.

Lottery outside the import store.

After pedicures we shopped at the import store, ran a few errands, picked up a couple packages at the office, shopped at Big C, then headed to meet a few more friends at Alicia's favorite place to eat: Coach's. They have a half baked cookie with ice cream!  It's delicious!
The stars aligned and I was able to pull through in the parking lot at Big C. Yay!

Airplane!  We live near an airport. :)

You can't buy Dr. Pepper here, except every 3 months or so at the import store, but Big C was selling this!

Does anyone remember old school Herbal Essence?  It's making a comeback.

Friend dinner!

I was away from my family for 8 hours, it was weird, and I missed them so much. When I got home Kora squeeled so loud and gave me the sweetest smile.  When I picked her up she gave me a very nice hug. Kees was asleep, but when I woke him up, he smiled and gave me a hug too.  So thankful for my little family and how they support and encourage me every day.
Kora got a Curious George toy from the Putnams!  (I got mini marshmallows!!!!)

Hot Wheels from the Putnams!

And a big thank you to my faithful readers, you all help me keep going.  Sometimes when I want to quit and just throw in the towel, I keep going because I want to share life with you all and I want to have a life worth sharing!  Thank you for all your support and encouragement.  You are in Thailand with me, every day.  You guys are gonna keep me going when my friend leaves and I have an overwhelming desire to eat myself into obesity and sing "All by Myself" at the top of my lungs.  So thank you!

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny but I know o w you are hurting and missing her already. GOD WILL GET you another friend u just hide and watch!!!!

    ReplyDelete