Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Taco Tuesday: Avocado Fiesta Salsa

Taco Tuesday Week #12: Avocado Fiesta Salsa




Here is the recipe I found online.

There are a few things right off the bat that don't suit me, so I got creative to "fix" this one.  So here's my adapted recipe.

Ingredients:


1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes (or 3 fresh diced roma tomatoes)
1/2 small diced onion (yellow or purple)
1 diced red bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 large cloves or 4-5 small ones)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 small cans sliced olives
2-3 diced avocados (depending on how much you like)
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon jalapeño sauce or tabasco (optional)
1-2 diced (de-seeded/de-veined) jalapeños (optional)

Tortilla chips

Take a deep breath. Go back and re-read the name of this recipe. If you didn't already know, "fiesta" means party.  So, if you don't like something in the ingredient list, DON'T add it.  If none of it sounds good, make something else. If you have garden fresh vegetables, and you happen to have a green bell pepper and a different variety of onion, use them! Add in some cucumber for all I care.

Here's the deal, my diet is sometimes lacking in the vegetable department, so I like recipes like this one, that combine such a wide range of colors and encourage me to eat my veggies.

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl EXCEPT the avocados and cilantro.  Refrigerate overnight, or at least 3-4 hours.  Just before serving, stir in diced avocado and chopped cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.




No comments:

Post a Comment