Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thankful Thursday: Thrift Stores

I'm new to the area.  And I've been wanting to check out all the thrift stores for a while.

Friday night, I was up late, worrying about all the winter clothes my kids needed and feeling overwhelmed.  We haven't had to buy winter stuff for a while, especially stuff warm enough for Northern Idaho!  I shop frequently, but I'm a bargain hunter.  I bought lots of thermal shirts for Kees at the end of last season, and snow boots for both kids.  That miraculously are the right size.  Thank you LORD!  When we went to Canada a couple months back, another family had left their boys winter coats for anyone that needed them, and I was able to get a couple nice jackets for Kees, and two winter coats.  Last year, a family in Michigan gave us several jackets they were done using, for Kora.  Perfect!

The point is, God provides, in all sorts of ways.  Friday night, he provided through a friend, who was up late, like me, and encouraged me to check out the thrift stores for the remaining items on my list.  I'll be honest, I was hesitant and doubtful.  I've checked Goodwill a couple times and they didn't have much in my kids sizes.  But I figured, it'd be fun, even if I didn't find what I needed I'd get to hang out with friends.

Sandy picked me up early, so we could be there when they opened.  I texted Bonnie, who lives RIGHT near there to see if she wanted to join us.  We had a blast.  Lots of great finds, and even better memories.

I couldn't believe the awesome deals I got on Saturday!  I got snow suits for both kids $3.50 for BOTH.  I'd have spent over $30 if I'd bought them new.  I found snow boots for me, and a puffy winter coat! This momma is playing in the snow, bring it on.  I got a rain coat for myself too.  All 3 items, $21, easily what I would have paid for just a coat or the boots.




Sweet Kora, got 2 winter coats, one for this year and one for next year, together it was less than $10 for both!!!  I was also able to find a rain coat for $1, a beautiful sweater dress for $2, a church coat for  $2, and monkey footed pajamas for $2.  Not to mention all the books I bought.  One of the stores had 10 books for $1!

And I even splurged on a HUGE bag of mega blocks.  I was feeling a little bit of buyers remorse after I paid for them, thinking, we don't really need these, maybe I should return them.  When I got home, we found not only the mega blocks, but 4 Little People, and several Pooh characters as well.  Such a steal!



Not only did I find great deals for me, but all the proceeds at these thrift stores go to help schools or charities.  We shopped at the Idaho Youth Ranch thrift store, one that supports the Women's Center (for abused women), and one that supports local schools. Each tag in that store had a code for which school the money went to.  So, when you donate your stuff you let them know which school the money should go to. How cool is that?!


So, I am thankful for thrift stores, and being able to get the things we needed, and also give back.  For friends who have great ideas, and join in, even at the last minute.Win-win-win!  

2 comments:

  1. Good job with the blessing the Lord has blessed you with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what we'd have done in Germany and N.D. without sweet Mamaw and Papaw providing snow suits and coats for my girls. Boots were a must have too. Its nice to have supportive friends.

    ReplyDelete