Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thankful Thursday: A Safe Place

First, the Wednesday post is coming, maybe later today, or who knows when.

And now to back track.  Monday night at my ladies bible study, I had a flood of emotions, and did not manage to keep them in.  I blubbered and embarrassed myself, in true EPIC Kellee form.  My mother is probably rolling her eyes....  Yes, I'm too sensitive.

The ladies were so sweet, and went out of their way to comfort me and make me feel less like the idiot that I am.

One of them even made a point to say, that this was a safe place, a place to let it all out, and know you are loved no matter what.

I came home, feeling like I may have to find a new church.  But as soon as I got on Facebook, three different ladies had reached out to me on Facebook in various ways, with encouragement and support.



And here's the scary thing, crying Monday night, brought some feelings to the surface that I had managed to shove down, and honestly thought I had "gotten over".  As I'm learning, healing takes time.  The anxiety attacks and floods of emotion are coming FAR less often, but occasionally they creep in.  And the anxiety that crept in Monday night, held on, in a big way.  I was set to speak at the Ladies Luncheon at our church.  I had fitful sleep Tuesday night, and was shaking and fidgeting right until time to share.



Before we left the house, I was anxious and desperately praying that God would take away my anxiety and help me get through my "talk".  I had BEEN praying that all night, and the anxiety hadn't waned, so then I just prayed that God would use my anxiety and vulnerability to his glory.  Maybe seeing me, in all my messy glory, was what was needed today.  And, let's face it, I had no choice, the anxiety was there, it wasn't going away.  I got through it, and as far as I can tell, it wasn't a failure. Satan would love to shut us down, when we are planning to share about how God has carried us through the really rough times.  But ultimately that's the truth that needs to be told, not suppressed.  I don't have it all together, and I DAILY need to cling to him.  He's my rock, my stronghold and my anchor.  He's gotten me through the run-of-the-mill mom crises, but he's also gotten me through the my-world-just-stopped-and-I-have-no-clue-what's-going on crises.  I've had some extremely difficult days, and he has always come through.  I haven't always understood his plan, but it's always been good.



Here's my challenge to you, when was the last time you were or provided a "safe place" for someone in crisis?  I am beyond grateful for the ladies who have encouraged me this week, and made me feel safe.  I'm praying that God will provide opportunities for me to pay it forward in this regard.  That I would be a "safe place" for my friends, and that they would feel encouraged that they are loved, unconditionally, not because I am capable of that, but the Christ who lives in me is so very able!

And is here an uplifting song for you, one of my friends sent me this one after my crying binge.

Greater
by: Mercy Me

Bring your tired
And bring your shame
Bring your guilt
And bring your pain
Don't you know that's not you're name
You will always be much more to me

Every day I wrestle with the voices
That keep telling me I'm not right
But that's alright

'Cause I hear a voice and He calls me redeemed
When others say I'll never be enough
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world
In the world
In the world
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world

Bring your doubts
And bring your fears
Bring your hurt
And bring your tears
There'll be no condemnation here
You are holy, righteous and redeemed

Every time I fall
There'll be those who will call me
A mistake
Well that's OK

'Cause I hear a voice and He calls me redeemed
When others say I'll never be enough
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world
In the world
In the world
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world

(He's Greater, He's Greater)

There'll be days I lose the battle
Grace says that it doesn't matter
'Cause the cross already won the war
He's Greater, He's Greater
I am learning to run freely
Understanding just how He sees me
And it makes me love Him more and more
He's Greater, He's Greater
There'll be days I lose the battle
Grace says that it doesn't matter
'Cause the cross already won the war
He's Greater, He's Greater

I am learning to run freely
Understanding just how He sees me
And it makes me love Him more and more
He's Greater, He's Greater

'Cause I hear a voice and He calls me redeemed
When others say I'll never be enough
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world
In the world
In the world
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world

There'll be days I lose the battle
Grace says that it doesn't matter
'Cause the cross already won the war
He's Greater, He's Greater

I am learning to run freely
Understanding just how He sees me
And it makes me love Him more and more
My God is greater (He's Greater, He's Greater)
Than he who is living in the world


Read more:  Mercy Me - Greater Lyrics | MetroLyrics 

1 comment:

  1. I think it takes a lot of guts, A LOT, to show and share your emotions. I most definitely hold mine in, so when they do come flowing out, it's all-out embarrassing. Now, being on the other side of that, with you and other friends at Bible Study, my heart went out to you. There weren't feelings of pity, weakness, negativity, ugliness, or anything else that we ladies feel like we're showing when we let loose our emotions. I think we all felt real... and safe! We aren't perfect, but boy do we try! I feel vulnerable showing that side of myself, and I know my time is coming. I do know that you'll be right there, egging on my tears and flood of emotions, supporting me. We each have our time to share the good, the bad, and the ugly. God loves you, anxiety and all. I think He's up there saying "That's my Kellee! She is beautifully made." I luv you, as you are now part of my "tribe," and good luck scaring us off. :)

    ReplyDelete