Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thankful Thursday: Thanksgiving Memories

Thanksgiving is great!  And every year, we celebrate a little differently.  The last several years we've been "out of pocket".  Three of the last four, were in Thailand, and last year we were on the road, in Michigan.

Pecan pie I made with the pecans my dad sent me.  I've been hoarding them and plotting how to use them, can't go wrong with a classic.  I've been wanting to eat this since the moment it came out of the oven!


Growing up, we took turns visiting family, and even hosting at my parent's place.  A few stand out memories for me, include the "Turkey Bowl" aka football in the backyard.  Soup and chili the night before, staying up late laughing till all hours of the night.  The year Doug met my family, he remembers all the timers. We kept setting them and hiding them as a joke.  Hilarious!

My Moma T. is famous for HUGE gatherings and inviting the neighborhood. We never knew who might show up, but it was always PACKED and there was no room to eat at the table because it was so full of food!  And if my sister had her way, we played games.  Many holidays, not just Thanksgiving included a certain "inside secret" about the collage in the back room.  *wink, wink*  Not to mention, the collage of photos, had several pictures of each of the grandkids, but somehow there are NONE of me.  So, they taped a couple on the outside of the frame.  Yep, I'm the favorite. ;)

But the best part of any holiday memory, is FAMILY.  That's what it's all about.

This year, I am so thankful that our church has embraced us, and we got an invite to Thanksgiving a few weeks back. It takes a huge sting out of being so far away from family, when you have stand in family.  So today, whether your celebration is big or small, whether your family for this holiday is blood or not, enjoy every minute.  Celebrate the Thanksgiving you DO have.  Laugh, make memories, and of course TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES! I know I will!!!


1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you.too and Thank your stand in family for us!

    ReplyDelete