Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Taco Tuesday: Chicken Enchilada Soup

Fair warning, this recipe will be frustrating if you like measurements.



Ingredients:


1/4-1/2 of a rotisserie chicken (de-boned)
1 can of corn (drained)
1-2 cans of beans (black, kidney, pinto)
1 can of diced tomatoes and peppers (Rotel)
1 cup chicken broth (more or less, depending on how liquidy you want it)
Taco seasoning (to taste)
Ranch dressing mix (to taste)
Lime juice (to taste)

Toppings:

Sour cream
Cheese
Chips
Cilantro
JalapeƱos (diced)
Onion (diced)

Directions:

Shred chicken.  Put all the ingredients in one large pot or crock pot.  Heat until warm.  Serve with whatever toppings you enjoy.

This soup was perfect last Saturday.  I made it Friday night, tasted it, and added seasonings till it tasted just right.  I threw it all in our small crock pot.  Last time I made a larger amount, it had 2 cans of beans and more chicken.  I made about 6 servings this time, and we ate it for lunch and dinner on Saturday.  We kept it in the crock pot on warm.  I also make a Taco Soup that uses browned hamburger meat, almost exactly the same as this recipe, minus the chicken broth (and chicken).  Doug said he preferred this soup.  If you don't like rotisserie chickens, or can't get one easily.  You can use whatever chicken you like.  I added the sour cream straight to the crock of soup at the end because we both like it, and no one else was eating it.  You can also add more or less Rotel to get the spice level you prefer.  I also added a dash of jalapeƱo sauce.  Yum, yum, yum!

P.S. The rotisserie chicken is a marvelous short cut!  We pay $5 for one at Costco, and it feeds us several times over. We use the meat in fried rice, quesadillas, on sandwiches, for BBQ chicken, and the kids eat it cold.  I have Doug debone it for me when I bring it home, then I add it to dishes throughout the week till we run out.  If you're on a tight budget, you can really STRETCH this chicken, add an extra can of beans to your soup and less chicken. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment