Monday, November 10, 2014

Manic Monday: Dramatic Play

Alright, I may have been a drama geek.


But seriously, dramatic play is great for kids.  That's how they learn about all sorts of things.  The more they interact with each other, and act out various situations, they more confident they will be.  It's a great way for older siblings to teach younger ones as well.  Kees has done more things in his life than Kora.  When they are playing dress-up, I hear him explain a wealth of things to her, and then they act it out.  From going to the doctor, riding an airplane, making soup, to playing football.  I rotate my kids toys, but that's a whole 'nother post.  Anyway, no matter what toys are out at any given time, we ALWAYS have a dramatic play box, or dress up clothes, whatever you want to call it.  It's nothing fancy.  We have a few things the kids have picked out at the Dollar Tree, old Halloween costumes, and of course baby dolls are always floating around.

Bunnies

Super héros



My kids love playing under our table.  It's been there house, a hospital, a kitchen, and who knows what all.

Alligator's gonna eat that kitty!



Cowboy/girl phase

They love this park the best. They always pretend they are firefighters. In my opinion , it has the least fun "equipment".  But my kids love to use their imagination, to them, less is more.  So, we go with it!

A kitty, very occasionally, I'll do make up.

Monkey!

Who could forget, Cinderella and Prince charming?

Here, you can watch the "Cinderella" video, if you haven't seen it yet.  So much fun!


And what's a castle without a king.
Even if you have zero "props", kids always find a way to imagine.  Spark their interest by reading good books, answering all 17 million of their questions (KEES!), taking them to the park, and limiting screen time. Yes, I went there.  Be willing to join in when they ask.  These moments are fleeting.  I'm often the baby sitter for their dolls, a fan at a football game, a customer at their restaurant, a client at Kora's hair salon (Knotting is her specialty), or a sick patient.  They don't always ask me to play, so when they do, I join in, as much as possible.  Ironically, as I was typing this, Kora brought me two baby dolls, and demanded I sing to them.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Love these stories,never gets old.glad they are not pc about guns.all boomers plAged cowboys and Indians, and war play

    ReplyDelete