Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wordy Wednesday: Are There Stray Kids?

How on Earth do you answer THAT question?

Last week, we were driving in the van, and after a long silence, Kees broke in, "Momma, are there stray kids?" (He's watch Pound Puppies, hence the phrasing)



It took me a while to clarify his meaning, and by "clarify his meaning", I mean BUY TIME!  Kees is five.  There are things in this world I sincerely wish didn't exist, and homeless and/or neglected children ranks at the top of that list.

So many responses warred each other in my mind. and I didn't know which should win out.  I always want to be honest with my kids, but finding the balance of answering honestly and age appropriately is never easy.



I explained to him, that some people have kids and they don't have the right "tools" to take care of them.  I told him a lot of those kids can be taken care of by relatives or go into something called "foster care" where they will be taken care of for a while, kind of like babysitting, but it's not forever.

Thankfully, I could draw from my sister's experience with both.  I told him that his cousin didn't grow in Aunt Kristee's tummy, that she'd stayed in a couple different homes, before she found her FOREVER family.  Then I told him that some kids end up without anywhere to go, and they have to find a place to sleep.  I told him it breaks my heart.

Maybe I said too much, maybe I didn't say enough.

But, one thing I didn't tell him, that I wish I had, was how much God loves them all.  How his heart is broken for them too.

The bible talks about how God adopts us.  Do you know what I've always loved about adoption?  How much you see and know their new parents love and want them.  If you've spent much time with a family who has adopted, you know how hard that road can be.  But they want it so bad, and they can and will go to the ends of the Earth for their child. And that's what God does for us.  He chooses us, he wants us, and we, as believers are a part of his FOREVER family.

I had the distinct privilege of surprising my sister when they had their court date back in 2011 (she thought I was in Thailand). When the judge declared that sweet Deanna was ours FOREVER, he made several points, and the main thing that has stuck with me, was when he said Deanna was THEIRS just as if she'd been born into their family. He emphasized the permanency of their decision. There is NO turning back.

That's what we have in Christ.  A FOREVER place of belonging.  That's why Christ died, so that we wouldn't have to be separated from him.  And it's irrevocable.

And yet,

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all." (Isaiah 53:6; English Standard Version)

That sums it up, WE strayed. We wandered away, but God, not only came after us, he put OUR sin on his very own son.  He loves us that much! Not only that, He desperately wants to be with us, to have a relationship with us.

The reasons and ways we stray, vary greatly, but God's desire to find us, to bring us back, never wanes.  And it's for ALL of us.

If, as believers, we know how much God cares about ALL his children, then it's our honor to find ways to join forces with HIM. To find those who are wandering, and help them find peace, hope, and belonging.

And wouldn't you know, on Sunday, a couple days after this conversation, we had a guest speaker at church from the local mission.  I'm praying about how I can be a part, will you join me? Will you boldly ask God how you can be a part of meeting the needs of those in your community, and go beyond the physical needs and wrap them in GOD'S love.  We are God's hands and feet, let's see what God can do when we make ourselves available to serve in whatever way he asks!

1 comment:

  1. With our kids, I always told them their bio mom wasn't able to do the "mama job" right now, so I was going to do it until she could, so they would always have someone doing the mama job for them. Tough stuff.

    ReplyDelete