Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Taco Tuesday: Instant Oatmeal

We eat oatmeal in this family. A lot.  In the last month or so, we had a weird hiatus from it. When we visited my sister last year she had made her own. I figured it was time...

So, I finally buckled down and researched making my own "instant" oatmeal.

Here's my reasoning for making my own, it's cheaper, there's less waste/trash involved, and I control the ingredients. And it makes me feel like I have a super mom power.

Feel free to adjust the amount of sugar, and you could premeasure this into small plastic containers or baggies, we just keep it in a large plastic container and scoop as we go.

We don't have a microwave, so I just use water from a hot pot. 

I read a few examples, then made up this recipe:

2 cups oats 
2 cups oats (blended into powder)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
Cinnamon to taste

Combine in a bowl. 

To prepare a bowl, measure out 1/2 cup of mixture, pour in 1/2 cup of hot water, and stir.

You may enjoy yours with more or less water. I've noticed if the water is hotter, I use the full amount, but if it's more on the warm side, we use less. I'd also assume, if you're microwaving, some water would cook out, so you'd want more.

Some recipes included dry powdered milk or dry coffe creamer. You could also add dehydrated fruit or nuts.









Kees ate THREE bowls that first day!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment