Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Taco Tuesday: Thai Curry

I am mostly posting this, so when people ask for this recipe, I can send them a link to this post.  And I wanted to be sure to include lots of photos of the stuff we use/buy so people know exactly what they need from the Asian market.



Ingredients:

2 cans coconut milk
1/4-1/2 cup curry paste (depending on how spicy you want it)
Fish sauce (to taste)

Any can from the Asian market should work fine.  Check the ingredients,  a lot of  the coconut milk you find in the store has water added. The ones from Asia, are a lot thicker and creamier. Shake the can, if it seems super liquidy, keep looking.
When you open your coconut milk, it should look something like this, THICK.  It's not the same as the drinkable kind.


There are all kinds of curry paste out there.  Yellow, green, red, panang, massaman, we like them all, I don't love the green as much, but it's still good!

My friends call this "special sauce" and are grossed out by the idea of it, but your curry NEEDS this.  


Meat (we use chicken, but you could skip it, or do beef, pork, whatever)
Vegetables of choice (chopped/diced/sliced to your liking)
-onion
-potato (I usually boil separately and add at the end)
-bell pepper
-mushrooms
-bamboo shoots
-carrots

Directions:

1. Combine the coconut milk and curry paste.  I whisk mine until it's combined really well.
2. Add meat, and simmer, until almost done.
3. Add veggies, and pre-cooked potatoes of choice.  (Add them in towards the end, so they aren't overcooked)
4. Serve over rice.

Thai cooking is so fun and there are NO rules. That's what I love about it. You can add more or less of whatever you like.  If it isn't spicy enough add more curry paste.  If it's missing "saltiness", add more fish sauce.  I doubled the amount of curry paste this last time, and it was so good!  I'd been erring on the side of too little, so it wouldn't be too spicy, but now I know, the more the better!  Don't be shy!  mmmm.....curry!

And of course I have to recommend you make THAI jasmine rice and use a rice cooker.  Otherwise we can't be friends. Just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment