Monday, December 22, 2014

Manic Monday: Quadrants

This is dorky, and I'm only slightly embarrassed, but not sorry to share this information.

I love math!  So of course, I talk about fractions, prediction, probability, percentages, and quadrants.  Anything my kids here and somewhat familiarize themselves with now, will only be to their advantage later. I'm not pushy, and I'm not drilling or expecting results. Just introducing words and topics related to math.

So, when we read books, we play "I Spy" with a twist.  I tell Kees I spotted something green in the 4th quadrant, and then he has a general idea where to look.  So fun!


Just look at that pretty graph! ^^^  Let me take this moment, to appreciate all my fabulous math teachers, who made learning fun, and shared their passion with their students.  Your impact is having SUCH a ripple effect. I had so many great teachers!

Alright, moving on. Try this out, you'll have fun.  Just draw imaginary lines in your picture books with your finger.  Point to each quadrant and explain which is which.  This also introduces the word counter-clockwise!  Start with quadrant one, then go counter clockwise to quadrant 2, down to quadrant 3, then over to quadrant 4.  Practice just pointing to each quadrant to get the hang of it.

You could also get a piece of poster board, divide it into 4 sections, mark each quadrant and then put memory cards down in each.  Then, when you are looking of the cards, you could say, "Oh, I think I saw that one in the third quadrant, do you remember?"

Your kids are learning lots of things at school (or with their "curriculum" at home), but the more you include a love of learning at home, the better off they'll be!

My point in sharing this, is to say, share your passions with you kids. Don't shy away from "hard" subject matter, just introduce it and keep it simple. If it flies over their head, try again in a few months.  Have fun with it all!

Today at church, Doug taught Kees to draw 3-D objects. Why not?!


No comments:

Post a Comment