Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wordy Wednesday: The Safest Place

I'm in a ladies bible study, this week, we were talking about Jochebed (jock-a-bed).  Jochebed, was Moses's mother.  You know, the one who sent her baby down the river, in a basket. (Exodus 2:1-10)



Here's the deal, as parents, we assume the safest place for our kids is with us.  But what if keeping your kid with you, meant soldiers knocking down your door to kill him.  What if God asked you to let go, and trust him, not with something trivial like your finances or where you live, but with the very life of your child.  That's what God asked of Jochebed.  And she did it!

On Monday night, as we were reading about her, I was wondering what small steps of faith God had asked her to make before this big one. In what life events had he already proven himself faithful to her.  We don't know.  But I know in my own life, I can look back and clearly see how God intricately worked out details, and led me, step by step, so I would be ready when the CRAZY huge step of faith came.  It's usually not until the tail end of a major trial that we start to piece together all the things that led up to it, and truly recognize God's hand in all of it.

So I've added that to my list!  When I get to heaven, I want to hear all about Jochebed, and the "behind the scenes" that led her to trust God enough, to release her child over to him, COMPLETELY.  And wouldn't you know, God came through, like he always does.  She relinquished control, not of her own life, but of her child's. The HARDEST thing for a mother.  And he came through, not only was Moses spared, but the Pharoah's daughter asked his OWN mother to look after him, and paid her to do it.  God made a way, when circumstances seemed impossible.

But what about the other Hebrew mothers, whose children weren't spared? Who watched as their children were killed.  And what about the tragedies we see around us? Is God still good when you carry a child almost to full term, and she dies in the womb? Or when your teenager dies in a car accident?  What about parents trusting God with their child who has a terminal illness?  Sometimes, in this life, we are shown a glimmer of why or how God is working, and sometimes, we just don't know. But we can still trust God, and we can cling to hope. Knowing that this life is but a vapor, and being separated from this life, isn't the end.  As believers, we have hope in HIM.

The God of the bible, who took care of Moses, is the same God today.  And He is wanting us to get to the end of ourselves, and let him have control.  In the big things, and small things, to trust him.  My prayer today, is that I would be faithful, every step of the way, and I would ask God in, and acknowledge the work he has done, is doing, and will do in my life.  I'm praying that for YOU too.  Love, love!

1 comment: