Thursday, October 2, 2014

Thankful Thursday: Asking God into Your "Everyday"

I've been listening to Hillsong United's song, "Oceans" on a loop for the last couple of weeks.




Here is a link to the youtube video, with lyrics.

Today I've been meditating on some of the words and how much we don't "mean it" when it comes to small things.

Have you ever thought, that when we don't trust God, we are expecting him to fail.  We are assuming that our success without him, is more likely than with him. Or maybe we just think we don't need him, especially when it comes to "little" things.

You know, like washing dishes, doing laundry, wiping kids faces, wiping the countertops for the majillionth time.  If I know I'm gonna be at home, just doing life with the kids, I don't always ask God in, why would I? What could I possibly need him for?  It's just basic stuff, right?  WRONG

How bizarre that we pray, and seek God when a big decision comes, a family member dies, our house floods, a tornado is on its way, our heart is broken, a dream is dying, our spouse is intolerable, our kids are one minute away from causing YOU to melt down with them.  Then we pray, we have no trouble praying, asking God to please help, make sense of it all, pick up the pieces.

But what about the regular day, no ups, no downs.  Okay, I honestly don't have that many days that I don't have some type of craziness, but hours can pass by, that we just don't invite him in.  We don't think we need him for the "everyday"

So, this amazing song, has lyrics like:

"Your Sovereign hand, will be my guide"
"You've never failed and you won't start now"
"My soul will rest in your embrace"
"For I am yours, and you are mine"
"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders"
"Let me walk upon the waters, wherever you would call me"

This song is more about trusting God when "oceans rise", "where feet may fail", in "the great unknown".  So, yes, this song is about clinging to God in desperation, but some of the "in between" lyrics have been challenging me to cling to him the same way, even when the waters are calm, the path is easy, and there aren't too many unknowns.  To me, THAT'S a real challenge.

Can I seek his "...sovereign hand" and know it's still sovereign on days when I think I've got it under control?

Do I believe that He's  "...never failed and won't start now" when it comes to teaching my kids and doing chores? Can I really depend on him for strength, when I feel like I shouldn't need him?

Am I taking time to let "my soul...rest in (his) embrace" daily?  Is that relationship important in my "everyday" the same way it is when everything is falling apart?

Am I inviting him in and living out the lyric "For I am yours, and you are mine"?

Am I putting borders on my trust in him, by only trusting him when *I* feel like I need to?  Maybe trusting without borders, is actually trusting him in the mundane, resting in him, loving him, seeking him EVERY day.

Do I want to "walk upon the waters, wherever 'He' would call me", even if that is "boring"?  I struggle with that.

It's easy to find deeper meaning to your life when you're living out of your comfort zone and the world acknowledges the "work" you're doing.  But, sometimes God calls us to the work that goes unacknowledged and is unappreciated, and frankly seems boring and pointless.  The work God calls us to is never pointless and that is EXACTLY why we should lean on him, and walk with him, especially in the every day. So we don't lose sight of the great calling he has on our life, no matter what that calling may be.  Anything God is asking you to do, is important in his kingdom, don't cut him out. Acknowledge him, thank him, love him, develop that relationship. The hard times will come, and that need for God will be so apparent, but including him in the everyday is where authentic relationship starts.






No comments:

Post a Comment