Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Taco Tuesday: Coconut Water Popsicles

Taco Tuesday Week #7: Coconut Water Popsicles


You Will Need:


1 small package flavored gelatin mix
1 cup hot water
1 cup coconut water (flavored or plain)


If you read the blog while I was still living in Asia, then you KNOW how obsessed I was with coconut water.  I've tried, so many times, to like the packaged stuff you buy here.  But, YUCK, it tastes like what I imagine dirty gym socks taste like. I recently discovered coconut water for kids at my discount grocery store.  It was only $1.49 for 6 pouches, so I figured I might as well try it.  The kids loved them, and they are so easy to grab on the run.  I went back and stocked up, so I have a few boxes in our pantry.  I thought I'd be using them on our road trip, but we are actually flying now, that's a whole 'mother story, but anyway, I digress.



I had been wanting to make popsicles with the kids all summer and bought the molds a while back when I found them for $0.99.  I kept forgetting to buy the gelatin mix, until last week, when my discount grocery store had four boxes of Jolly Rancher gelatin mix, plus a fun summer mold for just $1.99. The time was finally right to make Jello Popsicles, that technically aren't "Jello" because I didn't use "Jello" brand, but you get the idea.



The original recipe calls for the gelatin mix, a cup of hot water, and 1 cup of juice or just cold water.  I had planned to use apple juice, but I didn't want the apple to mess up our watermelon flavor, so I decided to try out the coconut water.  Honestly, I don't taste the coconut water, but it makes me feel like I'm adding a little extra something to our popsicles.  Coconut water, I hear, is really good for you, but I have not done extensive research.  I also would not dare claim these are healthy because you know, sugar and red dye.  Judge away!



Instructions:

#1. Mix hot water and gelatin
#2. Add cold liquid (coconut water, juice, or plain water)
#3. Pour into popsicle molds
#4. Freeze




No comments:

Post a Comment