Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Illinois

Day Monday (12-9-13):

We got to Alicia's place on Monday. She was at work, so we let ourselves in. Doug asked me, after about 5 minutes if I was sure it was the right house. I said, yes, I can tell by how well organized it is in here. Alicia's house is what I always dream my house will be like, neat, orderly, well organized, clean, simply decorated, and cozy.  I wanted to move in, and let's be honest, I kind of did. I bought groceries and put them in her cabinet, took over her refrigerator.  I REALLY made myself at home, it kind of reminded me of the crazy in cousin in Christmas Vacation, but we don't have an RV. :)  Alicia made us some yummy enchilada soup for dinner in her crock pot.  It was weird hanging out with Alicia in America, where it's cold and there's carpet and Dr. Pepper.

Day Tuesday (12-10-13):

The second day at Alicia's, she was working, and I think this is the day I went shopping, can't remember for sure.  Kora started acting sick, so Doug ended up staying home with her and Kees, while Alicia and I went to dinner at Brian, Deb, and Supitcha's place.  We met Brian, Deb, and Supitcha in Thailand. Not sure who remembers, but Alicia and I went to Laos, overnight, to get her visa back in January, on my 30th birthday actually. On our way back home, we had some time to kill in Udon, where Brian and Deb were staying with Supitcha, their adopted Thai daughter. They were going through the adoption process at that time.  Then, when they were in Chiang Mai they came over to Alicia's place and then ours. I was so excited to get to see Supitcha again, her English is AWESOME!  When we got to the house, she was in the bathroom, and then didn't want to come out.  I used a little bit of Thai to say hello, but she wasn't impressed, still didn't want to come out. Then, I remembered I had brought a book for her.  I started talking about it outside the door and she peeked out, I was showing her the pictures (it's the Christmas and Easter book that GoodSeed does). Anyway, she saw the picture of baby Jesus, and said matter of factly, "Yeah, I know Jesus!"  So funny. After I gave her the book, she went in her room and gathered up a few things, got a Walmart sack from her mom and gifted me a puzzle, a few coins, and a tiny bear. She told me the quarter was for the claw machine.  Apparently she loves those!  I felt like quite the honored guest!  After some yummy deer tacos for dinner, we all got cozy with blankets and sat around talking.  I probably shared too much personal information, but what's new?
Alicia had really cool towels for the kids to use.  Kora wouldn't stay in the tub because she wanted hers. Then she stood outside the tub, shouting, "Bubba, bubba, bubba!" and pointing to his towel, insisting he get out too. After that, I learned to hide the towels until I was ready for them to get out.





One of the presents from the church, for the kids, were sleeping bags, we were a little chilly at Alicia's so I let them open them. And guess what?!? They came with tents, flashlights, and compasses too. The tent is in the background. Kees got one from the movie "Planes" and Kora's is Hello Kitty.  This lego building is Kees's masterpiece.

Day Wednesday (12-11-13):

On Wednesday, we got to go to Alicia's mom's place for dinner. We got to meet her mom, stepdad, Grandpa, sister, and two nephews.  The food was awesome, soup, sandwiches, sweet tea, yum, yum!

Kora, Kees, Jaxin, & Maddax (plus Missy's arm)


Day Thursday (12-12-13):

This was originally supposed to be our last full day, and we kept that plan until late Thursday night. Both Alicia and I felt the time just went to fast, so we stayed through the weekend. So glad, because we were able to hang out more and talk, plus we went Christmas shopping on Saturday!

We attended Alicia's church's annual Christmas program, there was an awesome band, that Kees loved, a choir presentation, and then a play. They had childcare for Kora, thank you Jesus!  There was an intermission, and cookies. While we were eating our cookies, Kees said, "Momma, this day just keeps getting better and better, first singing, now cookies, and this red hot (which was a red soda drink)"

Kees loved this music, he was dancing.





I don't think Kees is feeling very happy about having his picture taken



Day Friday (12-13-13):

Wouldn't you know, I talked Doug into staying a little longer, and over night, I came down with a full blown cold.  When I finally stumbled out of bed, I had him run to the store to get me some cold medicine and cough drops.

Alicia ran by the grocery store on her way home from work, and then her nephews came to spend the night. Kees and Jaxin had a great time playing together. Wish I'd taken some pictures! 

Doug bought me this water bottle, it's so cool!

I woke up, and couldn't go back to sleep, so I watched the first part of "White Christmas" and had some hot chocolate.

Day Saturday (12-14-13):

Saturday, Alicia, Missy (her sister) and I went shopping. I actually got most of my Christmas shopping done, SCORE!







Day Sunday (12-15-13):

On Sunday we got to go back to Alicia's church, have lunch with her family, and do laundry and pack. We decided to leave Monday morning, so I spent the afternoon and evening prepping everything.  I also bought a dust buster on Saturday when we were shopping, so I could vacuum the van on the way home.  Best. Idea. Ever.  I may be a little obsessed.
Gramee and Grampa got the kids these outfits. Alicia's tree was the perfect back drop!

He was being silly

That's grumpy

Alicia has a cool fake fire that's a tv stand and a heater.

Trying to get them to smile: I made a piggie nose, instead of smiling, Kora did the same.





Sunday night chicken nachos! It's tradition! (We always did this in Thailand)

I was trying to pack....




No comments:

Post a Comment