Monday, December 30, 2013

Flat Stanley Goes to Washington

 ROAD TRIP:
The next several posts will be about our road trip!  It lasted from November 7-December 16.  We covered lots of ground, visited tons of family and friends, shared in churches, and drove, drove, drove. Everywhere we went was COLD!  For the most part, each post will start with traveling to get to a location and everything that happened at that stop.  So, ready, set, go...

Day 228 Thursday (11-7-13):

The first leg: Oklahoma to Tennessee. We left ridiculously early. I was up way too late, I shouldn't have even bothered sleeping. I think I got 2 hours of sleep. But Doug did ALL the driving, so I napped in the car.
It's too early Momma!

Hair twirling, don't tell Mamaw. (She keeps getting on to Kees for twirling his hair and tells him that he's going to rip all his hair out.) I keep telling her, that's never happened and he's always twirled her hair, she keeps forgetting.  Oh well. ;)

Why?!?

We got in the car before 5 am, but Doug had to get the "coordinates" programmed into his phone.

On the road, leaving Paden, it's BEFORE 5, we did it!!!

On the Road Again...

If I had a dollar for every time I've caught them sleeping in the exact same position as the other one, I'd be rich!

Notice Kora's shoes and lack of socks, yep, we weren't prepared for the weather up North.

Magnets! Each kid had a cookie sheet, they used them for their magnets, but they also used them to eat on and play cars, and do play dough. In between activities I just wiped them down. 

Kees was nauseous all day. He kept thinking he might throw up, he never did, thank you JESUS! He sucks on peppermint when he's sick, this Halloween bucket was for just in case.

At Walmart, we picked up some essentials and Kora found a tiny person sink, SCORE!

Driving into Tennessee



Look Mom, it's Elvis!!!





They scared her, too funny!

Kora was driving while Kees went in to use the restroom.
Me and my girl!

See, they're always sleeping the same, it's so weird.

Kees chose the color for the play dough, I can't handle multiple colors cause they always get mixed and I have a panic attack.  So one big batch of green works great!

We borrowed some tools from Gramee, mostly Tupperware stuff from 35 years ago.

So, as I was rummaging through my mom's drawers, I found a majillion of these little orange cups.  So I made a couple of bags of unpopped popcorn and put spoons so the kids could scoop and pour.  This was the ONLY time Kora was allowed to do this activity, she dumped hers. Is any one surprised by this? I wasn't, that's why I gave her very few kernels to begin with.

After this day, Kees was allowed this activity only if Kora was sleeping.

YOGURT!

Trying to get to our first stop in time for the OU/Baylor game.

At one point I looked back and saw this. How does she do this stuff?

Finally made it.


Kora's excited to get out of the van, FINALLY!
I have Flat Stanley, he was made by my nephew, Jacob.  He went with us on our road trip, he was not happy...OU lost!

Day 229 Friday (11-8-13):

Okay, so I already broke my rule, this post has 2 legs of the trip, I'm such a liar. Anyway, this was Tennessee to Virginia.  My cousin, Matt, and his wife Ashley live there. Matt, is the children's pastor at Dulles Community church.  It was so nice to see them and spend some time catching up.  Glad they were willing to host us, I know it's not easy to fit these type of visits into people's already busy schedules, but every one was so nice!  So, Friday was mostly just traveling, and here's some pics.
What is this junk on the window!  (Time was 7:37, but we still had to get some gas, I think we were getting on the highway around 8)



About the best fall leaves we saw.

Kora loves these mini books.  She took her shoes off and I gave her my socks.

Day 230 Saturday(11-9-13):

Saturday we were able to go to Washington DC. It's only about 30 minutes from where Matt and Ashley live.  I was so excited about seeing the Lincoln Memorial!
Matt and Ashley scrounged around, so we could borrow, gloves, hats, and even socks for Kora...she didn't own any before this trip. Yep, that's what happens when you move from Thailand and stay in Oklahoma. ;)

Almost there!

The little girls rode with Ashley and I. Kees and Kate rode with the dads.

We had a lot of dolls, Kate had her class dinosaur, Kees brought Mickey, Claire had her baby, and we had Flat Stanley.

Getting all situated

It's the WHITE HOUSE!

At least Flat Stanley is smiling


Two things, well three: #1 Kora lost a shoe #2 Doug has Dr. Pepper because Ashley stocked up for us  #3 Doug made a joke about his big fat head blocking the White House.

The Pittmans!

We back tracked and Ashley found Kora's shoe! Yay!

Oklahoma!

They were doing some work on the Washington Monument, that's why it looks weird.

Yay! Lincoln Memorial!

YES!










Kora loved the pigeons, she was chasing them.
 We had so much fun getting to see the capitol.  Kees had a pretty rough time, and we ended up putting him in the stroller.  I think he was sick, tired, and possibly overwhelmed. It was embarrassing, to say the least, but I think we've all been there.  We didn't even bring a stroller, Matt and Ashely had an extra one they let us use, we'd have been up a creek without it.  So, after a lot of tears, Kees ended up in the stroller, but then Kora was walking ridiculously slow and Doug and her fell way behind.  I need a sit and stand stroller if I'm ever gonna attempt a trip like this again. :)

Day 231 Sunday(11-10-13):

Not sure why I don't have pictures from this day.  I thought I took some, but I was blubbering like an idiot during the entire message, so perhaps that's part of the problem.  It's so funny how God works sometimes. The pastor said, God had laid this message on his heart 5 weeks earlier and he'd just been praying about when he should share it.  Isn't that crazy, the one week I was there, was when he decided to share this particular message. I definitely don't remember the entire content, I almost left bawling, but it was about community.  How God designed us to be part of community.  I've felt very alone over the past 3 years, to varying degrees at different times.  And I've longed to feel that sense of community.  It was particularly hard for me to think about, as I had built a sense of community in Thailand, and it wasn't easy, and now I'll be starting all over.  That seems so daunting.  I have a great community of friends, online, on Facebook, and at various churches, but when we move, I'll be starting over, it's exciting, but also scary.  My encouragement to myself and to you, is to embrace whatever community God has put you in.  Your not stronger or more spiritual because you have been going it alone. God doesn't want that.  Embrace your community, and even if you've been hurt, trusting others is worth the risk, and you NEED them, and they NEED you.

Day 232 Monday(11-11-13):
My first ever trip to Trader Joe's.  It's been on my list because I know there will be one 30 minutes from me when we move to Idaho.  So, the Pittmans took us.
This was on the way back. Ashley and I had to switch over to the car because Kees didn't want to be separated from me.  Poor guy, some days are really hard for him. And it never fails, just when I think, he's "okay", he feels insecure and needs me. Prayers appreciated as we adjust to being back, and work on building his confidence in new situations.

Doug and Matt wanted 5 Guys, but the moms and kids wanted pizza. So we got a pizza from Costco and took it over the 5 Guys.

This girl can put some food away.

Me and Ashley, we had some really great talks, stayed up late, and it was such an encouragement to me! Love her!

Kate and Kees were thick as thieves, but actually they mostly played ghosts and monsters...sorry Pittmans, we're a bad influence.

I think this should be an eating out tradition. Dads take all the kids and moms sit with the other moms.  This should be trend, for sure!

Five Guys!!!

I made them take this picture, they BARELY cooperated.

Apparently America does this now. It's a touch screen soda machine.  You choose the type of soda and then you can add flavorings and junk. Crazy!

Kees loved their bath toys. These boats were so cool.  And yes, Kees's hair is long, it just keeps growing. (I finally cut it on Christmas Eve).


No comments:

Post a Comment