Saturday, March 1, 2014

Storage Wars

Wednesday (2-12-14):

(My apologies for lack of details, my memory is fuzzy and when I take less pictures, I remember less, so here's what I got...)

I heard singing, walked around the corner, and found Kora singing her little heart out, sitting in the kitchen by herself.


We may have crushed this box.

Our last official speaking engagement was at Liberty Morris.  It's a bit of a drive, so we decided to head that way early so we could pick up dinner.

TACO BELL!!


After we left Taco Bell, I looked back and saw Kora with her fingers in her ears, Kees thought it was funny and joined in.
At Liberty!




Thursday (2-13-14):

And so it began, the sorting, organizing, and packing.  We have a storage unit we've been using, plus there's stuff in my parents garage (in real time 3-1-14, we survived and fit more stuff in the van than I was expecting...more on that later).


Notice we've been at the storage unit less than 5 minutes and Kora has lost a boot.

Some of our stuff from Thailand.  Less than 10 minutes in, and I was crying. It is so overwhelming when your WHOLE life is seemingly reduced to a few boxes.  That's what happened, when we left Thailand we had eight 50 lb pieces of luggage. That's it, some clothes, home school supplies, toys, and oh, so many memories.  These past months have been quite a roller coaster of emotions, but re-opening those boxes was hard. Final.  We're not going back, this meager collection will be assimilated with whatever we accumulate over the next few years.  It'll get mixed with the old and the new and that part of my life isn't MY LIFE anymore.  Poor Doug, he just wanted to "get er done" and I fell apart.  Thankfully, I pulled it together relatively quickly, but geeze, when does this get "easy",  I guess when I die. :)

More pieces of my past, from the early early years.  A puff paint shirt Mamaw made, and Iceland shirt my dad brought me back from Iceland, a Native American pillow case outfit, and my brownie uniform.  I may have taken pictures because I was getting rid of these things, but please, whatever you do, do NOT tell my mother.  She'd kill me!
I realized I hadn't seen or heard Kora in a bit.  I found her like this.  My first thought was, "Thank you Lord she is not writing on the van, I don't care where she got that paper, I'm just glad it is, in fact paper and not her face."

Kees found a badge, awesome.
Golf clubs, and various other toys.
Doug scared Kora, but he also scared me, I think he should destroy that mask, just sayin'.

This is what they do....

Reading with Gramee, Kora needed her own book.  She has to be in charge.


Kora wanted to put some make up on, so we tried a bunch of little lip gloss samples we found.

Then we put make up on her baby. She was putting it on the baby's face at first, but then she saw Kees drawing hair on his baby, so she did too.

Kees drew hair on the baby's head and facial hair...such a boy.

Helpers!

This cake, is only slightly famous now. The men's bible study at church was fasting to pray for our youth pastor who was going to be preaching the following Sunday, then Erlir was going to bring pizza. Around 5, when Doug was starving, I said, "Hey, is anyone bringing dessert?"  They didn't think so, and I love baking, so yeah...this cake.  It's not a recipe I invented and it's shamefully simple, but the guys loved it so much, it's already been requested again (twice!).  It's just a chocolate cake baked per the instructions, then you poke holes in it, top it with one can of sweetened condensed milk, on jar of caramel ice cream topping, then you spread a regular sized tub of whipped cream on top, and sprinkle with whatever candy you may have handy. The original recipe is for toffee bits, but I didn't have any and used crushed peanut butter cups...also yummy!

Kora drawing. She loves drawing!

1 comment:

  1. GREAT PICS AS USUAL!I HAVE BEAUTIFUL GRANDCHILDREN IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF!

    ReplyDelete