Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Humility that Comes with being a "dumb blonde"


Friday (1-31-14):

Our last day on insurance, as far as we know...

Kees had been quite hard of hearing and complaining about a whooshing sound in his ear when he moved his head. It had been about a week, he didn't have any other symptoms, but we decided we'd better take him to the doctor while we still had insurance. 

Kees flipped out. Wailing, sobbing, pleading. I am no good at calming hysterics, I usually have the pleasure of being the hysterical one. So Doug was gonna take him, but Kees wanted Momma. I guess he hasn't realized yet, that Daddy is the better candidate for these situations. I did not want to go. I was terrified that Kees would melt down at the doctor's office and we'd both be crying. Not to mention, I wasn't positive where I was going. But, I have a rule in life, if my kids want or need me, if it's at all possible, I do what I have to do. 

We made it to the doctor's office, no problems. Signed in, I only had to text Doug about 7 times for ss numbers etc.


The wait wasn't too bad, and Kees did just fine! It's funny how well he did considering the crying and upset before we left. Not sure what he was so scared about, but thankfully, the idea of going was much worse than actually going.

After we finished up, we went a couple doors down for hot and ready pizza.

The pizza was really hot, so Kees put his on the floor. He said, "I put mine in the shade to cool down."  Hmmm, I guess the trash can provided some shade. ;)


Then we ran into Walgreens for meds, and then he took them. I let him choose a flavor add on, he chose Watermelon.



Then we drove to the Outlet Shoppes to the Disney store and I let him pick two cars. He earned them!

He fell asleep on the way home. We got to the apartment complex, I used the key card to open the gate, and then my window would not go back up. 


I texted Doug from the van, about the window, Kees not wanting to wake up, and another little mishap, I could not find the key card. 

That's when I commenced with a hateful inner monologue about myself. "Why are you so stupid!?! It's not even your key card, you used it less than five minutes ago, and now you can't find it. You should not be allowed to be a parent, and you should not be allowed to drive! It's bad enough you're living with family...you couldn't lose something that was YOURS to lose, you had to lose your mother in law's key card! Perfect!" And who knows what else went through my head! 

I am never that hard on any one else, especially not my kids, and it WAS an accident. But I was in such a panic-shame spiral. 

I frantically searched the vehicle, and eventually did find the key card. I could not make this stuff up if I tried.

Seriously, what are the odds?!? The card got placed in this tiny crack and it was all the way in there! I has to use part of my fingernail clippers to shimmy it out of there.

Doug used his super powers to "fix" the window. He said it wasn't hard at all, but let me tell you, I'd tried all sorts of things and it wasn't working for me.

Once all the "excitement" was behind us, we headed to Tim and Shevaun's place for family night.



While eating ice cream, I raved again about the Frosty Pepper I had in Waco. And Stephen had the best idea, he said we could make Dr. Pepper syrup by boiling Dr. Pepper down. Genius, I took note!

We had the best thing happen, we got a FaceTime call from Pi Tone and Pa Eiw!


Back at Grandma's, Kora needed a snack, cause she eats round the clock!



Saturday (2-1-14):

Another traveling day. Yikes! The packing process is always interesting. We were heading to Paden, planning to speak Sunday night. (Paden is our sending church! They're awesome!!!)

Before all the packing nonsense, we ate donuts! Way to go Doug! That makes a hard day easier!  Yum, yum!



Here's a little look at the packing process...

Packing to go on a trip, and leaving from your own house is one thing. But packing everything, every week or two, and trying to stay sane is near impossible. I like things to be organized, tidy, and functional. That's not always the way it goes. Sometimes, just to pack in a way that makes sense, means making piles that cover the entire hallway and begging your two year old to do anything, but "help". 

This day, I had the forethought to throw the kids in the tub. Sometimes I'm so smart, it scares me.


I pulled the curtain back to scare them...

After all the packing, which always takes 3 times as long as I want it to,we loaded up, and headed that way!



The reward after all that work, I nice drive with my sweetie, Doug. Kiddos sleeping in the back makes a mini date for us! 


We got to Paden just in time. Grampa smoked the most amazing brisket and homemade bread.




After dinner the kids helped Gramee decorate for Valentine's day. She'd been saving her window decals for them!



Kees loves doing "work" with Gramee. She bought a subscription to Highlights Puzzles and splits them between Kees and Deanna.

Notice the trail of toys...

Eventually, the kids took Gramee and Grampa's seats and ate bananas. Love Kora's sassy no-pants, but-I'm-still-gonna-wear-my-boots look.

And to round out this post a few funzies:

I'm getting so sick of the cold!

And my parenting style according to an online survey...

No comments:

Post a Comment