Thursday, August 15, 2013

Strep Plague of Death

Day 138 (Friday):

I woke up Friday morning and I felt horrible, so bad in fact that I just wanted to die. I had a bad headache, fever, felt exhausted and worst of all my throat was all swollen and cut up feeling.  I quickly guessed strep throat and SHOULD have gone to the doctor, but honestly I didn't even feel like walking to the car for someone to drive me.  I slept all day and shot darts with my eyes if/when someone tried to offer me food or drink.  I may have also verbally assaulted a few people that were within range, but I was delirious.

Day 139 (Saturday):

We were supposed to go to the movies on Saturday, but instead, I got the distinct pleasure of having to be taken to urgent care by my dad. There's nothing that says low life, like a burdensome 30 year old who requires their parent to accompany them to the doctor.  Not only did he have to take me, but I have no home address, no phone, and no primary care physician. It's like everything in this world is just one big conspiracy to make me feel like a big fat idiot. The reason my dad took me, and not Doug, is because Kees is still refusing to be left with family members, so if Doug had taken me, we would have hauled both kids along, and we ALL agreed we did not want them in the germ infested waiting room.

When we had made the final decision to come back to America, I had hoped that I would be a HELP to my parents. That I could help take my grandma to her appointments, cook, clean, etc. Instead of being a help, I'm a big fat movie ruining waste of space.  And to top it off, I cried in the doctor's office, not because I was pitiful and wretched, and on death's door, but because I was embarassed. The nurse could not swab the back of my throat because I kept moving my tongue around and/or closing my mouth.  Yes, I am indeed the 30 year old, who came in with her father, has NO cell phone or home, and cannot even be still for a dumb throat swab. MORTIFYING. The doctor in training, who looked about 12 minutes older than Doogie Houser came into the room, saw I was crying and asked, "Are you in a lot of pain."  To which I said, "No, I'm just really embarrassed because she couldn't get to the back of my throat."

In happy news, since I've been away, someone invented penicillin shots, I got two, and did not have to take anything else. SCORE!
Saturday bath!

Day 140 (Sunday):

I thought I'd be feeling better by noon on Sunday, that's 24 hours after my shots. Nope!  I didn't really feel better until Sunday night/Monday morning.  So it was another sleeping forcing myself to drink kind of day.

But Doug got some pictures of our kids coming home from church!  Kora stayed in the nursery during Sunday School and church. Doug went with Kees to Sunday School and then to Children's church.  Kees made 2 cool door hangers in Children's church and he was so proud to give one to Gramee and one to me.  Sweet, sweet boy!
This way sister.

Notice all the trucks. I love Oklahoma.

This cup goes with us everywhere.

In the back yard.

Almost to the door.

Kees being silly.

Kora loved having her food in this bowl.

She carried the bowl over by the door. Notice Gramee's door hanger that Kees made!

Then she carried the bowl over to daddy. Kees has a cup again, I'm gonna have to hold on to one of these so it can be included in his senior pictures, and maybe I'll slip it into his suitcase to take on his honeymoon. ;)

Grampa has some of the best toys. This is a machine, you push this little golf ball down and a jelly belly (jelly bean) comes out, lands on a tee, and this golfer shoots it through a plastic tube. SO COOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment