Saturday, August 3, 2013

Baby Houdini

Day 129 (Wednesday):

Another early morning! We were up around 6 or so.  The kids love all the toys at Gramee and Grampa's house, so Kora hasn't venture out too far yet. My dad made his famous donuts for breakfast. It's just regular canned biscuits deep fried and dipped in some yummy glaze, but they are a hit every. single. time.  The kids had fun helping him put the holes in them.
Kees insisted we move Kora right next to him. He wanted her to be on the same stool, but she wanted her own space.

Hard at work

I'm not sure he helped very much, but he had a great time!

Kora gnawed on this little piece of dough.


My sister and her family showed up around 10:30 and we were waiting for them on the front porch. We had never met the younger two, William and Anna, their foster kids, so we were very excited.
Anxiously awaiting the Ravan arrival.

Doug was looking through our luggage and labeling stuff. Kora was helping inspect the garage.

They're here, they're here!

She wanted Momma.
We ate lots of yummy food, visited and the kids spent some good time playing outside in the water and they even got ring pops.
He really didn't make this mess all himself, but he's definitely capable.

Girl cousins

Kees wasn't sure about being in a tiny pool with all these rowdy kids.

Anna stole Grampa's chair while he was setting up the sprinkler.

William says, "Let me help you Grampa!"

Sweet lady baby.

She wasn't sure about the sprinkler. The Ravan kids were not concerned at all!

She's so dainty.

Gramee has bubbles.

William loves the swing.

Kees finally got in, Deanna is blowing bubbles for them.

I love the way Kora is sitting in this one.

Gramee had princess and Spiderman ring pops.

They left around 4, and Kees was asleep in my lap by 5:30.  Doug was sick and took a nap as soon as lunch was over.  Kora also slept a long time in the afternoon.  So, with a little over an hour till church time I was fading fast on the couch.  So tired!  But I love going to church and I hate missing stuff, so I scrounged up some dinner and chugged half a Dr. Pepper. Doug stayed home with the sleeping Tomlinson babies and his sick self and he sure missed out.  From start to finish I was so blessed to be home with our church family.  Everyone gave great hugs, and said such encouraging sweet things to me. We sang a few songs and it was like rain after a long dry spell.  I listen to good music and sing all the time, but it's different to sing in a group.  And the song leader chose the perfect song for what I was needing to hear, well I guess I should technically give God the credit. Just what I needed, when I needed it.  And do you know something else crazy. My dad has been teaching through the bible for 3 years now. They are in 1 Kings 22. The lesson was hand picked for me, I swear.  It was about God's plan and how perfect it is. How he is always working out the details to carry out his plan.  I'm not describing it very well, but it was also such a blessing.  Cannot believe how easily we take for granted the privilege of worshiping with fellow believers. We have been blessed to worship with Thai believers for the past 2 1/2 years, and now we are blessed to worship with others here in America.  He's the same God and he's good, all the time!

Day 130 (Thursday):

Doug's dad had a birthday earlier this month, so we went to his house to celebrate and almost all of us were able to go. Madeline had band practice again and couldn't make it.  My kids were spoiled with lots of one on one time with Grandpa.  More on that later.

We stayed the night in Paden with my parents. Kora and Kees were up early again, but the grandparents were happy to play.  This morning was one of my favorites in a long time.  Kees was on a roll saying funny things.  Doug gave him a pop tart before I woke up. Doug was still feeling a little sick, so when I got up about a half hour after them, he went back to bed.  I hadn't asked what he'd fed the kids, so I asked Kees, "Did you have anything to eat?"  He said, "Yes, Daddy gave me a pop tart." When I asked him what kind it was, he said, "It had chocolate inside and Daddy spread candy on top, there was protein in it."  I couldn't wait for someone else to join us so I could have Kees repeat that description.  My dad was already up and showering. He made the mistake of letting Kora see him and she kept wandering around looking for him, chattering, "uh oh".  When Grampa came back out, Kees said, "Kora was looking for you, she thought you died!"

It was a nice morning with family. So nice to be with family after such a long time.  It's great to have family that encourages and supports you through everything.  I'm very thankful for mine.

A little before lunch time we headed to OKC to get the keys from Doug's mom. She is out of town and we are house sitting for her.  I'm in charge of plants, I hope I don't kill them. We stopped at Sonic for lunch on the way.  They have 25 shake flavors now! One of which is Peanut Butter and Bacon. If you'd like to check them all out, here's a link. (This is mostly for Amanda Hemperly, a fellow foodie).  I took pictures on the way. Now that we're stateside, I have Thai friends and former co-workers who will be interested in random tidbits about America.
We didn't get a shake, but I was excited to see all the options.

Vanilla Dr. Pepper

I saw a tractor bailing hay.  I didn't quite get a picture fast enough.

Some of the damaged trees from one of the tornadoes that went through back in May.

She's a little groggy.

Kees is asleep.

Kora loves balls, all shapes and sizes.  This is one she found at Grandma Sheryl's place.

Watching Curious George

Look who is sitting still, can I save this stance for the next time we're at a restaurant.

Playing peek a boo with Grandma.

Leaving Grandma's place.

Around 1:30 we headed to Grandpa Boo's house (and Ginny too).  We made two stops on the way. We went to Academy (Sports and Outdoors) to buy some ginormo socks for Doug's boat feet and planned to buy Grandpa a new OU hat, but then we saw some cool Duck Dynasty stuff and bought him a camo hat that says, "Happy, Happy, Happy" on it.  Kees liked it too!  Then we went to Walmart and let me just say, the more we take Kora out in public, the more I lean towards becoming one of those parents that doesn't go anywhere.  Good thing I have short term memory problems because it just takes about 12 hours and I forget this stuff.  The reminder usually comes when the princess demands to be taken out of the cart, then proceeds to squirm, sequel and head butt in an attempt to run circles around the place.  I have never been so happy to get out of a store!
We have a bucket of toys for the kids.  Kora was antsy and this bought us a little time.

Kees is good about helping to entertain Kora. After she threw the toy from the previous picture he passed his book on to her.

This is the Oklahoma river.  I asked Doug what the name of the river was when I was posting the picture and I was so disappointed that it's just "Oklahoma river", like our capitol, Oklahoma city. Apparently we don't get too creative with names, but I don't think either of those are as bad as "The Ball Park in Arlington". They had a contest to come up with that name.  Really?

Food truck!

Kees was very happy to see this orange mustang.

Ambulance, it drove on the grass, so exciting.

Here she is with the book Kees gave her.

Kees trying on Grandpa Boo's hat: Happy, Happy, Happy

Yep, she's baby Houdini.  She is always making funny hand gestures and making expressions like she is putting on a magic show, now she is working on her escape routine.

This is also for Amanda.

Too many bread options. I feel like throwing a toddler tantrum on the floor.  Can someone help me narrow it down!?!

We saw a bird in the parking lot, it was looking at its reflection in a hub cap.

Once we finally made it Grandpa and Ginny's place, our kids spent about 2 hours just them and Grandpa, swinging, swimming, sliding, and laughing.   It was his birthday, but he sure made it seem like it was Kid's day, but he does that EVERY time we go over there. :)
Kora loves the dog.

I think he pushed her for an hour.

Kees wanted a turn too.

Taking it all in.

Jacob and Claire, they almost collided and I got nominated for worst Aunt of the year.  Been out of the country for 2 1/2 years and lost my magic.

We bought Kora these new shoes for $4. They're a little too big, but not by much and she likes them so much more than the other pair I bought her.  I feel so weird having a kid own 3 pairs of shoes.  I think I'm gonna return the other pair I bought and get that number back down to 2.

Playing with Claire.

Kees pushed her, that's nice because I gave up after about 2 spins.  My attention problems impede my ability to do redundant activities, except eating, that's never redundant and I always have time and attention for that.

Claire pulling the boys.  I pulled them around twice and then went to enlist someone stronger.

Look how fast Uncle Tim is, his feet are a blur, he's like Dash from the Incredibles.


Aunt Shevaun tirelessly pushed Kora around the yard on this tricycle.  She wins the best Aunt award, but if I'm the only competition she needn't try so hard.

Kees gets that can't do attitude from me.  He tried to pull Jacob, but gave up.


2 comments:

  1. The Oklahoma River used to be named South Canadian River. It was renamed in honor of OKC's Riverwalk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD TIMES,LOVE TO PLAY WITH THOSE GRANDKIDS!WE ALL HAD A GREAT TIME AND I SLEPT TILL 8;30 THE NEXT MORNING!LATE FOR ME!WONDERFUL TO SHARE MY BIRTHDAY WITH MY FAMILY!MISSED MADELINE THOUGH!LOVE AND PRAYERS GRANDPABOOO!

    ReplyDelete