Friday, March 29, 2013

Quit Yer Belly Achin'!

Day 5:

Not much happened today. We studied Thai in the morning, had a family lunch together, and took the afternoon off.  Our weekend is jam packed with English class on Saturday and an Easter Sunrise service, that I have been requested to bring cake to. ;)
Family lunch, Thai food, of course. The cost of this meal for all four of us was around $2.  Doug had cashew chicken, top left and I had Kaow Soy, a soupy noodle dish with chicken and crunchy noodles on top, bottom left.
Yikes, I can't believe it's Easter again!  Last year at this time we hadn't been back from America very long and we didn't do anything as a family.  This year, somehow it's all just snuck up on me. But I think I can at least do a small egg hunt in our yard tomorrow and discuss the meaning of Easter with Kees.  Maybe later this week if we are feeling better we will make egg shaped cake balls or something fun like that.  Honestly, I'm not feeling motivated for any of it.  I've had a headache the last few days, I'm guessing from the smog/haze.  I have sinus issues anyway and this yuckiness is getting us all down. We even ran the air conditioner last night and this afternoon.  Kind of weird.  I'm just not ready for hot season.  But it's here.

This evening Doug kept the kiddos home and let me splurge on American food with my friend Alicia.  It was so nice to sit in the air conditioning and chat.  The food was great too.
Vegetable Dagwood Sandwich, I ate half and brought the rest home to Doug.  Not as cheap as our Thai lunch, but it was around $5 and fed two people, so not terrible.  Sorry, I know I'm always posting prices of stuff, but it's a Thai thing.  Maybe that'll be my next catch phrase, "Oh excuse me, it's just a Thai thing." :)


After we got home we ate chocolate and watched a movie, it was about grandparents and made me home sick on top of my headache. That's no bueno or my dee. (Not good in Spanish and then in Thai, sometimes I still think Spanish phrases before I think of Thai...)  I only cried a little, not like when I read "Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs to Kees.  It's a sad book about Grandparents where a little boy loves his Grandma and Great Grandma and they both (uh, spoiler alert) die.  The saddness of this book reminds me of a lot of the terrible sad movies my dad is famous for making us watch.  So when Kees requires I read the Nana book, it's mostly because he likes to hear me cry.  Thus proving, that he has Grampa's qualities in his DNA.  I'd love so much for him to get more influence from ALL his grandparents in person, but I am thankful for those little reminders that some things are just in our blood. :)

MOVIE!
If you feel like crying, this book is for you.

All in all our week has been busy and productive, I'm glad we took the afternoon off because now Doug is feeling sick and Kees is congested on top of Kora already having respiratory stuff the last week or so.  Hopefully, some Saturday morning R & R tomorrow will get us back into shape in time for our English class and then EASTER!!!

My good word of the day is about parenting.  I've been realizing more and more that the things I want to teach my kids are the things I need to learn myself.  Like, the other day, Kees was helping me clean and got a little grumpy about it.  I turned to him and said, "Kees, we all have to do our part to keep our house clean and we can choose to gripe and complain or have a good attitude.  When we have a good attitude it makes the work easier and more fun for everyone."  Oh how often I am the one complaining.  One of my favorite verses that I've ever heard in the form of song is: "Do everything with out complaining, do everything without arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God..." (Philippians 2:14)  And that's something I struggle with a lot.  I get the "oh poor mes" especially when it's so hot and I don't feel well, but God is reminding me, as I train my kids, that we should continue to do the work unto the Lord. It's easy to focus on the negative, but I need to re-direct myself just like I do with my kids.  My attitude affects our whole family.  So that's it, let's find joy in our work today and be thankful for all our many blessings.   I hope I don't sound preachy, these good words are 100% stuff I need to hear and be reminded of and I like to share it, so I feel held accountable.  So thanks for going through this journey with me. :)

And now I am off to bathe the babies and put them nigh nigh, and hopefully sleep myself.  Praying for rain and good health.  (Ha ha, for some reason as I was typing this I accidentally typed "shave the babies", uh, that would NOT be good)

Sorry for the short post and lack of humor, just really not feeling well tonight.  Love you all, hope you're having a great FRIDAY!

1 comment:

  1. The process of parenting teaches one a lot about God. :)

    ReplyDelete